Bank Holiday Weekend Nearly Here....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had to come to South Yorkshire for work today, which means when I try and get back home to the coast later its going to be a complete nightmare. Most of the routes are already snarled up by caravans. Then my local will be jam packed full of Yorkies telling everybody who doesn't want to know how wonderful Yorkshire is, and I can spend the rest of my holiday being knocked off my pushbike by grockles with caravans because they don't know how to drive on our Lincolnshire roads.

I love bank holidays. :laugh8::laugh8:

All those who went to Portugal missed out on this their home country no excuse it is still half term, this was Lytham st Anne’s today all you need to do is study the weather
573A77FB-B81D-4F12-99DA-1A8476BBE1E8.jpeg
6C8F6741-818D-4539-B85E-0871AAF02CFB.jpeg
573A77FB-B81D-4F12-99DA-1A8476BBE1E8.jpeg
6C8F6741-818D-4539-B85E-0871AAF02CFB.jpeg

Hi cc cost me a gallon of petrol and i didn't have to stay in for ten days on return and no covid test to pay for, i am thinking of going to Arnside tomorrow or up in the hardknot pass whats not to love of our green and pleasant land, you are welcome to portugal, no can't go tomorrow car is in for mot but weather looks nice for Thursday

Last edited:
I love Devon go there all the time but not Lancashire resorts. Living in mid Cheshire as a kid the go to resorts were Blackpool, Southport and Rhyl. Enough said.

We used to regularly go to Pontins at Southport in the late 60's and early 70's it was great for the kids back then but i wouldn't imagine todays kids would have the same view.

As i said it is still half term no need to go abroad, read the post, nothing to do with being retired
I did read the post. What is the relevance of it being half-term? You said that people 'just need to study the weather'. Most people who work need to book a holiday months in advance. They can't 'study the weather' that far in advance. A holiday in some foreign climes will virtually guarantee them sunshine which is sadly not the case here. Maybe try to see things from the perspective of others?

How is it odd?

Pre-Covid we already lived in that situation where smoking wasn't allowed in a pub, but you didn't need to prove you've had a flu vaccination.
I see your point, I just feel it’s not a lot to ask for people to get vaccinated or just refrain from inadvertently exposing others to potential infection.
I wouldn’t be surprised if lawyers start advertising for cases relating to damages from exposure to a known hazard in time.
I can see requirement for signage being a norm. We already see it for the daftest things.

Why do you need sun for an holiday?
I did wonder that as I flake out over 25c but I picked the Mrs up from work yesterday and it was uber sunny. Being a Tuesday I was spontaneous and suggested verdis for tea as Mumbles couldn't be that PACKED. The tide was in and TBH it was an awesome few hours, hard to beat that anywhere. It's been proven that certain wavelenghts of light hitting the back of the retina produce a mood enhancing effect. So if you can't just nip down the road to a pleasant spot on a whim I can fully understand why the guarantee of sun on your one big holiday of the year is important.

As for mumbles today - forget it - its peeing down :roll:

I did wonder that as I flake out over 25c but I picked the Mrs up from work yesterday and it was uber sunny. Being a Tuesday I was spontaneous and suggested verdis for tea as Mumbles couldn't be that PACKED. The tide was in and TBH it was an awesome few hours, hard to beat that anywhere. It's been proven that certain wavelenghts of light hitting the back of the retina produce a mood enhancing effect. So if you can't just nip down the road to a pleasant spot on a whim I can fully understand why the guarantee of sun on your one big holiday of the year is important.

As for mumbles today - forget it - its peeing down :roll:
I know mumbles well and it can be enjoyed in the rain, especially a verdis. Just need to change your mindset.

That's not always possible. Some of us are more effected by sunlight or lack of it than others. At least I'm aware of S.A.D. and the chance that lockdown has increased the impact of it if people aren't getting enough of the right type of light.

I do agree with you on that.

But then if I were in charge I’d require people to follow proactive health measures to keep their NHS registration.
I’m exactly the same on that. Been saying for years that a pass on a basic medical mot every two years should be required. If the person is clearly abusing their body, their National insurance should be weighted accordingly.

Anybody can fall ill or contract something at any point, and it’s right that we have a system that cares for everyone, but smoking and obesity are a lifestyle choice and people should be prepared to pay extra for them.

I’m exactly the same on that. Been saying for years that a pass on a basic medical mot every two years should be required. If the person is clearly abusing their body, their National insurance should be weighted accordingly.

Anybody can fall ill or contract something at any point, and it’s right that we have a system that cares for everyone, but smoking and obesity are a lifestyle choice and people should be prepared to pay extra for them.

I’m not quite as strong as that - I’d require people to attend a health check once per year to keep their NHS registration - but I expect I’d still be called a fascist for it.

More than likely lol.
If the NHS budget was bottomless, then fine, but since we seem to be wasting or giving away so much money, we need to be using the money we have left wisely.

Education is not the answer, obesity is a bigger killer here than smoking, people aren’t daft, they know what they are doing. If money is not an issue to them, I think it’s right to expect a larger contribution to medical expenses.

That's not always possible. Some of us are more effected by sunlight or lack of it than others. At least I'm aware of S.A.D. and the chance that lockdown has increased the impact of it if people aren't getting enough of the right type of light.
S.A.D doesn't stop people going out in the rain.

Yesterday we had a family day out- dinosaur park tenby. Unexpectedly it was raining when we got there and we were in shorts. We had a cracking day out whilst everyone else hid in the indoor play area. Skins waterproof

I couldn't disagree more, obesity is often related to depression it's not a life choice and what about people who due to circumstances cannot exersize.

Drinkers, they should pay more too. And drivers, they are always crashing, so they should pay more. History of disabilities, heart disease, cancer or other illnesses in your family yet you still 'choose' to burden the NHS with your offspring? You should pay more. Play rugby? Pah! Irresponsible scum, burdening the holy NHS. Pay more, filth!

aheadbutt

Back