Banks Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfoley1985

Reaction score
Just lately been having a fair few bottles of this. While some comment that its neither poor or overly impressive i actually rate it quite highly as a very drinkable drop indeed!

Also at 89p a bottle you cannot go wrong! Not to mention i like the bottle shape for my home brew. AND the label comes off like a dream!!

All in all a good value nice tasting bitter that is great for many reasons!
Well done Banks!

I think it's a perfectly acceptable bitter. Far better than others out there, but nothing spectacular. If they did an ESB (maybe they do, but I've not seen it) I think that would be good.

I tried a bottle of this some time ago. I have to say I was disappointed.
I used to drink cask Banks Bitter years ago from time to time when I lived in the area, and it was quite good pint, but the bottled stuff is not a patch on what that was like.
Perhaps the cask version has deteriorated as well.

We first started drinking Banks's around 27 years ago when we started our annual fishing holidays to Bewdley. We thought it was the best thing since sliced bread and have been quaffing it ever since when up there. However last year i had a few of less than impresive pints of mild. Now i know that Marstons own Bank's, and wonder if the taste has altered because of this or was i just unlucky!.
I still buy the bottled bitter in Tesco, more so at 89p:thumb:the bottles also have a decent neck for the capper to grab when re using them and don't mind the mild in cans either.

Can you still get Springfield Bitter? I used to think it was a bit watery but a good session beer.
Haven't seen Springfield bitter since around 1990 was a drinker of it back in the day over brew 11 and since marsdens took over the banks I don't think it is around anymore.can't say I've missed it as the rise of real/ craft ales from micro breweries has been great.currently trying a few at the wetherspoons spring world real ale festival for the next few weeks while it is on

Haven't seen Springfield bitter since around 1990 was a drinker of it back in the day over brew 11 and since marsdens took over the banks I don't think it is around anymore.can't say I've missed it as the rise of real/ craft ales from micro breweries has been great.currently trying a few at the wetherspoons spring world real ale festival for the next few weeks while it is on
Ah well. So much for Springfield Bitter.
M&B Brew 11 - For the the Men of The Midlands.....never touched the stuff! But M&B Mild I did drink that.... how tastes change.
Looks like I'll have to get down to a Wetherspoons. :thumb:

Whilst nothing to do with Banks's but still in the midlands, if anyone does happen over to Bewdley , take a look at the brewey there and sample the beer in the local pub just up the road, very nice sessionable ale called Worcestershire Way.

Many years ago before I had any interest in brewing I used to work for Vaux (Sunderland based brewery). I know. I do look back and think about how much I could have learned. Anyway, we did a visit to Banks to talk about their finance systems (I was head of IT). Very hospitable people, but missed out on sampling their beers as I was driving :( . I'll have to check out the best and mild.

Banks's Bitter in bottle has made the move to 3.4 % in line with the latest duty rules. I don't have an earlier bottle (at 3.8 %) to compare it to but it does seem a bit flabby. Not quite the bargain it was, sadly.

It also jumped in price recently, but then everyone has to make ends meet & I don't want them to go bust or be sold off to the big faceless corps

Banks is a brand name of Marston's, a big, faceless plc that buys up small breweries and closes them down but carries on brewing beers with the name of the now closed brewery's beers.
I fear you are too late to save Banks.
That said, I have enjoyed many a bottle of Banks's bitter.

Many years ago before I had any interest in brewing I used to work for Vaux (Sunderland based brewery). I know. I do look back and think about how much I could have learned. Anyway, we did a visit to Banks to talk about their finance systems (I was head of IT). Very hospitable people, but missed out on sampling their beers as I was driving :( . I'll have to check out the best and mild.
My anomaly detection circuit triggered when I went googling for banks beer. I didn't go to Banks at all it was Brains brewery I went to. :roll:

As RichardM says there are a lot of beer brands on the Banks website.

Banks is a brand name of Marston's, a big, faceless plc that buys up small breweries and closes them down but carries on brewing beers with the name of the now closed brewery's beers.
I fear you are too late to save Banks.
That said, I have enjoyed many a bottle of Banks's bitter.
Partially true.

Banks' brewery first aquired another brewery comany (and it's tied houses) over a hundred years and changed the group name to Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries. Since then W&D has aquired about a dozen other breweries, including Marstons. The group's name was once again changed in 2007, to Marstons, to reflect the status and public recognition of that brand.

So don't fear, I don't think Marston's (Banks) will be closing Banks anytime soon.

Latest posts

Back