Barrel pressure test

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dosfairways

Reaction score
I’m testing the pressure retention on another barrel I have. I filled it 3/4 with water before charging and found no leaks from the cap or valve and strong flow from the tap, but after leaving it overnight I found no pressure left. I’m a bit puzzled. I’m no physicist, but is the water absorbing the co2 and losing pressure as a result??

I’m testing the pressure retention on another barrel I have. I filled it 3/4 with water before charging and found no leaks from the cap or valve and strong flow from the tap, but after leaving it overnight I found no pressure left. I’m a bit puzzled. I’m no physicist, but is the water absorbing the co2 and losing pressure as a result??

Yes. You might even be able to detect that the water is carbonated by it’s look or taste.

It’s still possible you have a slow leak of course!

You can also buy Schrader valves and fit them yourself as several of us have.

Here’s one of mine...
04CD07D0-9C41-4A71-8F62-79CBC4C89EBF.png

The Ballihoo gauge is useless, it doesn't even depress the stem on the Schrader valve so you can't get a reading.

When it’s pressurised Try screwing an empty cartridge onto the valve and leaving it overnight if the pressure has gone the next day at least you know it’s not from the pin valve.

In my air force days, decades back, I worked on aircraft oxygen systems. The standard method of checking for leaks was to use a very dilute washing up liquid, frothed and spread over any suspect joints. I use this method on my Kingkeg, you can get the froth even over the lid joint. Stand back, give it time and watch, but you all know that anyway.

Latest posts

Back