Basic apple wine....help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BARFLY

Reaction score
I`m looking to make a gallon of apple wine for a starter.
As this will be my first attempt at this (novice), can anybody give a basic recipe?
I`ve got pure apple juice from Tesco and some basic kit, DJ`S, bungs and airlocks. I`ll get anything else that i need as i go.

BARFLY.

Supermarket apple juice on its own won't make a good wine, although there are plenty of topics on Turbo Cider if you look down the listings or run a search.

However, if you follow the Wurzel's Orange method and substitute apple juice for the orange juice, that will make a good basic white wine.

3 Litres Apple Juice
600 Grams Sugar
1 tspn Citric Acid

Top up with water + add yeast.

VERY basic, but I've made it before and it wasn't too bad :D

Same recipe but with Pineapple juice instead made decent wine, I've made a few of those also.

Best (as Moley said), to make a tried and tested recipe like WOW though, for best results.

Thanks for the replies people.
I like a strong alcohol content in a wine and don`t really enjoy cider, so i think i`ll try some other fruit juice if you think that would give me more of an idea what i`m after. B.

Just stick more sugar in if you want more alcohol...

hydrometer.jpg

Use the table above to see how much sugar would be required...

Calculate how much sugar is in 1ltr of juice * how much juice you're using, then add sugar to reach desired alcohol %, how high you can go depends on the type of yeast, type of juice you're fermenting, whether you used yeast nutrient, added tannins, adjusted acid and last but certainly not least, temperature!

I'd say aim for a maximum of 15-16% and use the Youngs Wine Yeast, that will go up to 17% given the right conditions, aim any higher and the high alcohol will start killing off the yeast to a point where they'll pretty much die and cease fermentation, leaving you with rocket fuel with far too much residual sugar ;).

Oh and for the record, Apple Wine doesn't really taste like cider, it tastes more like, errm, wine, with just a hint of apple flavour, I prefer it to cider (I don't like cider either).

I think 2 litres is standard.

1 Orange Juice
1 White Grape Juice

That's the most frequently brewed drink on this forum I think.

This is exactly the kind of info. that i need,
how do you work out how much sugar`s in the ltr containers?

So that would be something like, 16g/100 ml=160g`s/ltr., so subtract the 160g`s from the total amount of sugar you`re going to put in........yeah?

That`s kicked off, i`ve got wines made from juice fermenting :-

1 Gallon of White Grape and Summer Berries
2 Gallons of White Grape and Apple
2 Gallons of WOW.
1 Gallon of Red Grape

All bubbling away nicely. Many thanks for the very quick replies to my Novice enquiries
Regards, Barfly.

shadow47 said:
Just stick more sugar in if you want more alcohol...

hydrometer.jpg

Use the table above to see how much sugar would be required...

Calculate how much sugar is in 1ltr of juice * how much juice you're using, then add sugar to reach desired alcohol %, how high you can go depends on the type of yeast, type of juice you're fermenting, whether you used yeast nutrient, added tannins, adjusted acid and last but certainly not least, temperature!

I'd say aim for a maximum of 15-16% and use the Youngs Wine Yeast, that will go up to 17% given the right conditions, aim any higher and the high alcohol will start killing off the yeast to a point where they'll pretty much die and cease fermentation, leaving you with rocket fuel with far too much residual sugar ;).

Oh and for the record, Apple Wine doesn't really taste like cider, it tastes more like, errm, wine, with just a hint of apple flavour, I prefer it to cider (I don't like cider either).
Where did you get that chart from?

Latest posts

Back