Baz's Kegerator Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I considered that actually and I may still do it. But I have multiple milk crates sitting around because I use them to haul full carboys. Easy enough to use one for this purpose.

I finally took the beer engine out on her maiden voyage on Sunday. I did not get any pics of it. Due to an extremely busy work week, I have not had another pint since then. Until now. I've pulled two pints tonight: one with sparkler and one without. Pics follow. This is Courage Directors from GW's book. The beer is fairly dark because I followed his instruction of a small amount of black malt for colour. I don't think that's necessary and will not do it again. Also, I bittered with Target and I find it a bit much for a bitter. I will change that up the next time I brew this beer again.

With sparkler:
IMG_20131031_180734_652_zps5e379fe9.jpg

Without sparkler:
IMG_20131031_182453_616_zps672f42a5.jpg

I'm probably opening myself up to flaming but I prefer without the sparkler. Visually, the "sparkled" beer looks exactly like what I expect a Yank beer to look like. However, the taste seems muted and missing. It's like something has gone into the head of the beer and been removed from the body.

The non-sparkler beer has a different flavour and is a bit more lively. Now, to be completely clear, both are extremely acceptable pints and I would not return either of them. Also this is just the first polypin through the engine. This is going to take much more careful study and sampling for me to form a truly educated opinion! :drink:

I was privileged to be able to watch these first pints on a video link.
Barry really was over the moon.
It quite surprised me when he said he preferred it flat!
Hand pulls are quite rare in the states, when one does come along it is very expensive.
Here's to many more pints Barry. :cheers:

Very nice Barry, I'm glad your pleased with the result.....
:thumb:

ABOUT BLOODY TIME TOO, I HAVE BEEN WAITING ALL WEEK :lol: :lol:

Wow they look good !!!

I personally would have to go with the sparkler being from up Norf, but to be fair the French beer looks goods as well and I would actually drink that quite happily, it isn't as flat as pints i have had served when I have been darn Sarf. :thumb: :thumb:

Tidy work Barry and well done Jim :party: :cool:
Re getting kegs in and out of the freezer, mounting castors with brakes on the corners of the freezer would allow you to move the freezer to get kegs in, then, if you have the clearance at the front you could mount the lid so it opens forward. Alternatively you could mount the lid on one side if you have the 'head room' for the lid....just ideas.

Re the beer, there is good reason for the difference in the beer and the way it's served, sparkler v non sparkler...I can't remember where I read it, but it's something along the lines of... sparkled beer has a smoother/creamier mouth taste due to smaller C02 bubbles in solution, and less C02 (they get knocked out/decreased in size by the turbulence and pressure at the sparkler head) and a less intense hop taste but increased hop aroma initially. The hop aroma and taste side of thing is due to volatile oils and other compounds being 'knocked out' of the beer into the head, which is also why the head may have a more deeply perceived bitterness than the rest of the pint. Naturally, non sparkled has non of these factors and can appear 'fresher' than a sparkled pint. You have to remember you are not serving like for like, non sparkled will have a much higher carbonation level than sparkled and again IIRC trials showed the presence of more C02 both detracted from certain aspects and increased others.

Personally, I think there's only one way to serve through a beer engine and that's the way you like it...me, I prefer sparkled as apart from the taste side of things, minimising C02 content minimises the size my belly bloats to :lol:

I'll try and find the source of those comments but don't hold your breath :roll:

Excellent build Barry. .. best of four world's there !!...

So alistair.... Your saying that if I sparkle my beer is low fat ? Or did you mean you can just fit more in your belly ? :cheers:

Thanks everyone. I'm certain I will get lots of enjoyment from this build.

@Alistair, I'm glad I could finally bring your week to proper closure!

Latest posts

Back