Beaverdale 30 bottle Pinot - boost

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinotinto

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi
Another of Santa's deliverances.
Tempted to do to this as I did with the California Conn Pinot.
ie - add xtra 1.5l water over the top and 750g sugar to try and max to 30 bottle and improve abv to around 12.5

Any reason why I should not try this with this kit bfore I take the plunge probably tomorrow?

I wouldn't water it down, just brew it short, to 21 litres to up the ABV a bit, you will end up with a better tasting wine. Better to have 27 bottles of good plonk than 30 bottles of mediocre:)

I wouldn't water it down, just brew it short, to 21 litres to up the ABV a bit, you will end up with a better tasting wine. Better to have 27 bottles of good plonk than 30 bottles of mediocre:)

Yes but also note the addition of 750 g sugar. I think it was Chewie that suggested this. Seems to have produced a reasonable plonk with the CC kit. I wonder how different it would bave been by just brewing short as you suggest? Only one way to test that one I suppose.

True, I was just worried that watering the grape juice down would give you a thinner wine. I have done a few beaverdales, they are good kits, the Barrollo is a favourite!

Don't water down! Brew to 21 litres every time..iv been making these kits for over 7years now.

Also what people forget is that adding more sugar ups the alcohol but in turn the extra alcohol is liquid so thins out the brew as well.

Beaverdale are good kits don't need much medaling with.

Another option to increases flavour and alcohol is to add a couple of commercial bottles of the same style to the batch at the end before bottling also makes it slightly stronger.

Was that the kit priced at around £45 ? I quite like a pinot so was tempted with this one

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

What sort of kit are you chaps using to make these 30 bottle kits, and does brewing them 'short' affect headspace?

I've got a 23L bucket+lid, but have got nothing to rack into other than tons and tons on 1G DJ's and smaller FV/buckets.

Do I need a carboy? Is that the correct term, I've seen 25 litre huge DJ's but they look tricky to manhandle, and aren;t cheap

ta

What sort of kit are you chaps using to make these 30 bottle kits, and does brewing them 'short' affect headspace?

I've got a 23L bucket+lid, but have got nothing to rack into other than tons and tons on 1G DJ's and smaller FV/buckets.

Do I need a carboy? Is that the correct term, I've seen 25 litre huge DJ's but they look tricky to manhandle, and aren;t cheap

ta

By kit I assume you mean the 'hardware'?

I use a 5 gallon glass carboy ( yes it is heavy ) and a large Youngs fv which I have found to be the best because it has a reliable seal once the lid is clipped down. Yes I have other bits and pieces but I find these two meet my needs for 30 bottle jobs allowing for racking etc. I use my 1 gal djs for country wines and wows and have smaller plastic fvs to feed these when necessary.

Just to add to that, I will probably get another 5 gal carboy but will probs go for glass again despite the weight implications. No science behind it and purely personal but I just do not like the idea of a 5 gal pet bottle. ;) I am sure they are fine and others will confirm this. Just me .

thanks mate, I'll pop to my local brew shop and see if they have them - I also like glass for some reason, but I may need to wait till it warms up a bit as I'll never get one of those bad lads in my airing cupboard and it's freezing everywhere else.

How do you degass such a large amount of liquid? I'm struggling with a standard DJ and have fizzy red regularly :doh:

Filtered this today and must say - this is the best tasting ( at this stage ) 30 bottle kit red I have done yet. Beats the CC Pinot and the Kenridge Barolo hands down. Went as per the instructions as wanted to see what it was like before brewing short or upping the sugar etc. Well done Mrs Tinto on getting this for Crimbo!

Came out at 12.6%

Apinta - note - re your other thread - I DID rack this at 1010 as the instructions suggested. ;)

Just a question, I love pinot never buy or make as I find that it just doesn't go with cheese for some reason does anyone else find this?

Back