Beer goes off quickly in pressure barell.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidNW

Reaction score
Hello,

Been using a pressure barrell for my homebrew beer for sometime. I generally use high end beer kits, which produce very good results. The first 2 or 3 pints of the finished beer that I draw off are exceptional in taste and have that 'to die for taste'. However, the quality of any subsequent pints drawn off rapidly deteriorates. I will still have good pressure, but the beer will still be way below par. It seems as soon as the barrel tap is opened for the first time after natural carbonation has taken place - it's not long before the beer goes off.
Would I perhaps be better off in bottling my beer, as opposed to barrelling?

Thanks in advance,

David.

I use a barrel for some brews and they keep for months even after drawing off a few pints. Do you have constant pressure to the end of the barrel (even if you have to reprime)? Low pressure and air glugging back into the barrel could upset things.

I run three 'budget' PBs, and like others keep beer in them for months. Whilst it changes in character is doesn't become stale. Like @Clint has mentioned if you allow air to glug back into the beer through the tap when the top pressure has gone , that will cause your beer to quickly deteriorate. And if your beer is very cloudy when you package it then the excess yeast will eventually settle and that could be a possible reason for the beer going 'stale', although I try to package clear or nearly clear beer so have nothing to really back up that statement from personal experience.

I use a barrel for some brews and they keep for months even after drawing off a few pints. Do you have constant pressure to the end of the barrel (even if you have to reprime)? Low pressure and air glugging back into the barrel could upset things.
Thanks everyone. I don't have constantly good pressure until the end of the beer in the barrel, and if I get a 'glug' when drawing of beer; I use my C02 cylinder. I think you are right - air is getting in. Is there a way I can keep a constant pressure! The barrell is always stored in the kitchen. Someone mentioned a 'C02 cap'. I don't know what that is. Could someone explain please?

It should keep pressure...it could have a leak but then it wouldn't just pressurise at the end of the keg...huge temp swings from ambient to very cold can affect the pressure as the beer absorbs co2 at lower temps.

Thanks everyone. I don't have constantly good pressure until the end of the beer in the barrel, and if I get a 'glug' when drawing of beer; I use my C02 cylinder. I think you are right - air is getting in. Is there a way I can keep a constant pressure! The barrell is always stored in the kitchen. Someone mentioned a 'C02 cap'. I don't know what that is. Could someone explain please?

One of these
https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/2_Inch_cap_for_barrels_with_PIN_valve.html

Then you can use one of these with 8g single shot CO2 bulbs to keep the pressure up
https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/S30-8g-Bulb-Holder-With-Stainless-Insert.html

Like others have said, a PB should keep pressure for plenty of time. I’ve not always got on brilliantly with them myself, but Terrym wrote a really good post on checking them and using them properly. I think it’s in the equipment section. You may get some useful tips there.

Edit: sorry, I just saw your post about using a CO2 cylinder, so you can ignore the links above, just a different CO2 injection mechanism.

One of these
https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/2_Inch_cap_for_barrels_with_PIN_valve.html

Then you can use one of these with 8g single shot CO2 bulbs to keep the pressure up
https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/S30-8g-Bulb-Holder-With-Stainless-Insert.html

Like others have said, a PB should keep pressure for plenty of time. I’ve not always got on brilliantly with them myself, but Terrym wrote a really good post on checking them and using them properly. I think it’s in the equipment section. You may get some useful tips there.

Edit: sorry, I just saw your post about using a CO2 cylinder, so you can ignore the links above, just a different CO2 injection mechanism.
Thanks, everyone, some very useful information.

Back