Beer number four is a worry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrapped in bacon

Reaction score
Evening!
My first three beers have been great but number four is not right :cry:
Currently sat in bulk clearing but that's the problem - it's not
The sides of the fv are covered in what looks like yeast deposits and the surface of the beer has giant opaque bubbles (nearly the size of half a cricket ball)
It was in my cellar (cool) but I've been tarting the cellar up so it's currently sat in the kitchen
What are the bubbles? Why has it not cleared? It's been weeks and I don't want to break my 100% record!!

I'm doing the cellar up because I already make bread, I now make beer so the natural progression is to make cheese - am I right or am I right?! :party:

and sausages too , :thumb: different yeast and beers behave and look ..well different . Some take some time in the bottle before clearing , so i won't worry unless it tastes funny .

Sausages Pittsy? You may have a point there.. :clap: ....we get eggs from Fred across the lane, so.....mmmmm.....good point! :thumb:

I used Nottingham yeast, which was used for number two brew as well but that was aleman's oatmeal stout (which is fabulous by the way) - so very dark in comparison

The bubbles look alien to me (with my vast amount of experience!). Not in bottles yet - still in second fv

Sounds like you may have an infection but without pictures its hard to be sure.

One way to tell is to sterilize a spoon and dip it into the top 1cm of beer and pull it out. If liquid that comes out on the spoon is slimy (not like water), you probably have a layer of bacterial infection on the top of the brew.

If that is the case you need to sugar bomb the brew to try and save it. A sugar bomb will cause the brew to froth up like mad and lift the infection off the beer so you can scoop it off without mixing in into the beer.

Unfortunately I can't post pictures or links - because I'm a newbie (not sure at what point you can?)
What's a sugar bomb? :wha:
I've searched the site but all topics relate to bottle priming??

My only thoughts on how I've managed to get an infection (if that's what it is) is when I've picked up the fv to move it. I have the very thin walled, clear type with the screw tops. When you lift one it actually sucks air in through the airlock :shock:

sounds ok to me..... :grin:

If I was you I'd syphon it into a clean vessel leaving as much sediment behind, and also leaving the top half inch. ( stop syphoning a little bit early )
I think you will find the beer will finally work itself out ( fingers crossed ) Notty yeast always takes its time to finally finish for me, seems to drag on a little

My only thoughts on how I've managed to get an infection (if that's what it is) is when I've picked up the fv to move it. I have the very thin walled, clear type with the screw tops. When you lift one it actually sucks air in through the airlock :shock:

If this is your only concern, then you have no worries. A bacterial infection will give off gas not suck it in. If your fv is plastic and you lift it, the bottom of the vessel will get pulled down by the weight of beer and draw some air through the airlock.

If the water in you airlock was sterilized you have no worries at all. Even if you didn't sanitize the water in the airlock you will still probably be fine.

Don't worry, just follow piddledribble's advice and siphon off the middle of your brew leaving the yeast at top and bottom in the primany fv. It may mean getting another fv as a secondary though.

Syphoned the beer as suggested - tastes and smells fine so I think I'm OK.
The beer was still extremely cloudy - went in fv on 27th June
I plumped for dropping some issinglass in today and it seems to be doing the job
First time I've used it (hopefully the last time I need to)

Anyway, I seem to have a result :party:

Thanks for the advice :clap:

Back