Beer shank pipe connection issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon19791

Reaction score
Hi gent,

Please can you help?

I am in the middle of building my kegerator from and old larder fridge, i have got the hole for the beer shank and got the fitted. I have just now tried to connect the barded attachment with the beer line and the pipe is too ridged to tighten with a jubilee clip.

This is the piping i have;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-8-3-16-...hash=item4af6fea077:m:mvDBOfWdFqERhZbIYkQ4DxA

it will not create a seal and leaks... well pisses beer out.

So....

I tried a softer tube, but the is will not fit in the JG fitting and then beer leaks from there.

What can i do????

Cheers guys!

What's the model of tap and shank?

I have Perlick taps on my kegerator. They have a 3/16 outer diameter barb which fits the 3/8 line nice and snug. I decided to swap this for a JG fitting that screws onto the shank once you remove the barb.

I'm also setting up a portable tap, and have bought a cheapie from eBay. Although this says it has a 3/16 barb, it fits too loosely to seal properly - sounds just like yours.

I've used PTFE tape and a hoseclip to seal but it's an ugly job. I'd prefer a neater solution...

right 3/8" OD beerline has a 1/4" id so 1/4" hosetail barbed fittings are a good fit,

So I would suggest that 5/16" OD beerline may have a 3/16" ID, Im afraid i dont have any to hand but im fairly confident in the assumption ( WHOOPS DOH! Moment invite issued)

So substitute the last 3/16" to 3/8" jg connector with a 3/16" to 5/16" and a few inches of 5/16" to match the tap hosetail barb will probably be cheaper than a 1/4" barb fitting for the tap ;) i dont have any 5/16" beerline, perhaps a friendly member who has some could donate you a foot or so for the cost of postage???? (if so perhaps you could measure the ID too )

Or the barb might be for 6mm line? I've got inline restrictors on my beer lines which have 3/8 inlets and 6mm outlets. The barbs on the taps were then 6mm.

I didn't order that deliberately, which to me would imply that all beer taps are 6mm fittings unless I just got lucky. 6mm isn't much smaller than 3/8, but you couldn't take up the gap with a jubilee clip like you tried.

Edit: 6mm may be 5/16"

Bought a 5/16 JG connector and a metre of 5/16 line - sorted! Fits the barn perfectly.

Thanks Fil - sound advice much appreciated as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back