Beer shooting up gas line?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scream

Reaction score
First time kegging and having some troubles. I hooked everything up and turned the gas on and set it to 12psi. It sounded like the keg was filling with gas and then as I was going to turn it off beer shot up the line and out the regulator. Luckly it doesn't seem to have cause any issues. I left it a day and shook it every so often. I pulled the pressure release and heard some gas escaping. Due to the fact that I didn't think I put enough gas in I decided to try and put some more in the next day. I set it up again and put some gas in, this time it took half the time and beer started running into the gas line, I quickly shut it off and ejected the rest of the gas from the regulators pressure release. I have a one way one way valve turning up soon so I don't get beer going up my line. Here's my question, what am I doing wrong? I should also note that originally my beer was above the gas input pipe. It isn't now. I'm using the connector that has the shortest pipe and not the one that runs to the bottom of the keg.

You should have your gas turned on before connecting it to the post. And remain turned on while you detach the disconnect. Only then should you be fiddling around with the on/off valve. The pressure venting from the tank, down the line, should be enough to stop beer going the other way.

I have had beer going up the line a little and a lot and it has always been because I was mucking around with the gas whilst it was connected.

If you haven't over filled the keg then what's probably happening is foaming up inside due to pressure release and the foam is reaching the gas in pipe.

What type of keg & regulator are you using?

A corny keg, ball lock. A dual reg.
reconditioned-cornelius-ball-lock-keg-189-l-.jpg
dual-gauge-gas-regulator.jpg

Using the pressure release on the regulator would cause beer/foam to move up the line, just remove the gas disconnect before turning the gas off and theres no chance.

Using the pressure release on the regulator would cause beer/foam to move up the line, just remove the gas disconnect before turning the gas off and theres no chance.

I never used the release while it was connected to the keg. I've used it when I've disconnected. I put more CO2 in the keg about an hour ago because I emptied the keg to try again. I had beer come out either the ball lock or the disconnect. Didn't have time to check it. I'm going to give it a spray of soapy water and see if there is a leak.

Wonderful news. Turns out I wasn't putting on the disconnect properly. I thought I had put it on enough because it felt like a slight bump. Turns out I needed to push it a hell of a lot more hard and it "clicked" all the way down. Man am I happy. I failed at first, I had a tiny bit of beer coming out the disconnect and took it off. Turned the gas on and set it to 20psi, this time I accidently pushed the disconnect all the way down and then I realised I had been ******* up because I heard bubbling inside the keg and I looked at the dial and it went down to 0 up to 20. The bubbling stopped and I left it an extra two seconds and took the disconnect off and turned the gas off and dumped the rest of the pressure from the regs release. I did spray on the soapy water and there wasn't a leak so then the previous stuff happened. Well at least I know why it wasn't working, mistakes made, lessons learnt. Happy days.

Disconnects can sometimes be a bit arsey going on and coming off. When it happens, I find a tiny amount of Vaseline rubbed around the posts O-ring usually helps.

Back