BeerSphere with S30 CO2 option

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcuk

Reaction score
Hello

I'm coming back to brewing after a couple of years gap only to find that the soda stream plus cylinders I used have been discontinued and I'm a little confused as to my options for supplying CO2

I've got 4 BeerSpheres with the S30 valve and 3 Soadstream plus cylinders with a brass adapter that allows me to give a squirt of CO2 whenever I need some more pressure to pour a pint. Now my Sodastream cylinders are empty and the new 60l cylinders have a different fitting so wont fit the adapter.

I've been searching for a while and cant seem to find a satisfactory solution to this, surely there must be one.

As far as I can see my options are:

1) Track down an s30 adapter for the new 60L soda stream cylinders (if such a beast exists). Downside: I'll need to change my cylinders - 60L ones are £20 a pop - and i'll be back to square one if they ever change the cylinders again

2) Large CO2 cylinder plumbed into each BereSphere with regulator and pipework. There is a hobbyweld stockist near me that can supply CO2 cylinders rent free, but with the deposit, gas, regulators and pipework its going to be pricey.

3) Refill the existing CO2 cylinders some how. I'm guessing that nowhere will fill the official ones anymore, but there are various howtos I've seen on refiling the older sodastream plus cylinders but messing with compressed gas sounds scary and if I was doing it myself I'm back to buying an expensive large cylinder again.

Any other options I've missed on any other ideas? I'm sure someone somewhere must still be using something with an S30 valve?

TIA

jcuk said:
Hello

I'm coming back to brewing after a couple of years gap only to find that the soda stream plus cylinders I used have been discontinued and I'm a little confused as to my options for supplying CO2

I've got 4 BeerSpheres with the S30 valve and 3 Soadstream plus cylinders with a brass adapter that allows me to give a squirt of CO2 whenever I need some more pressure to pour a pint. Now my Sodastream cylinders are empty and the new 60l cylinders have a different fitting so wont fit the adapter.

I've been searching for a while and cant seem to find a satisfactory solution to this, surely there must be one.

As far as I can see my options are:

1) Track down an s30 adapter for the new 60L soda stream cylinders (if such a beast exists). Downside: I'll need to change my cylinders - 60L ones are £20 a pop - and i'll be back to square one if they ever change the cylinders again

2) Large CO2 cylinder plumbed into each BereSphere with regulator and pipework. There is a hobbyweld stockist near me that can supply CO2 cylinders rent free, but with the deposit, gas, regulators and pipework its going to be pricey.

3) Refill the existing CO2 cylinders some how. I'm guessing that nowhere will fill the official ones anymore, but there are various howtos I've seen on refiling the older sodastream plus cylinders but messing with compressed gas sounds scary and if I was doing it myself I'm back to buying an expensive large cylinder again.

Any other options I've missed on any other ideas? I'm sure someone somewhere must still be using something with an S30 valve?

TIA

Hello JC, welcome back to brewing.

Whilst I use Corny Kegs, I appreciate your dilemma, I did a quick search and there seems to be an adaptor available, you can see the search term I used below:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30345&p=289349&hilit=s30+adaptor#p289349

also, over on JBK there was this thread: http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/view ... 0&start=30

hopefully you will be able to work something out :grin:

Try your local hbs thy MAY supply re-filled ones mine does. (Or some fire ext. places sometimes offer a refill)
Or you can them direct from SS, check their web site, you pay ££'s but get £'s refunded when you return the old one.

I have 5 BS's and 5 SS bottles, so know the issue, I also was looking at a large co2 bottle but the rental cost (I can't find anyone who gives free rental for a reasonable upfront cost) was to high.

Appreciate your dillema. I am about to get there myself. For the past few years I have been able to pick up soda stream cylinders at my local carboot sale for around 50p a go. I have an adapter which works fine on my Brew Kegs - so they are available.

Good luck with hunting them down.

Thanks for all the help. I've emailed sodastream to see if they still have any Sodastream Plus cylinders or if they will only trade in for the new 60L ones.

Failing that it seems the original S30 hamilton bard cylinders are still going strong. Various HBS still do them and there are a few on ebay too, so this is an option (until they are discontinued too)

On the up side, I've just stumbled on another SS cylinder in the garage which I've weighed and seems to be about 1/3 full. This should at least buy me some time until I can sort out a more permanent solution

cheers

JC

Latest posts

Back