Belgian Beer Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuarty007

Reaction score
Hi

I am close to finishing my first brew and already thinking about the next. I have been thinking about a Belgian blonde or raspberry beer but have been told that the Belgian beer will take a good 3-6 months conditioning to get the best taste out of them, is this correct or will brewing as normal still produce a good tasting Belgain blonde?

Thanks

Hi

I am close to finishing my first brew and already thinking about the next. I have been thinking about a Belgian blonde or raspberry beer but have been told that the Belgian beer will take a good 3-6 months conditioning to get the best taste out of them, is this correct or will brewing as normal still produce a good tasting Belgain blonde?

Thanks

Hi Stuarty, mine have rarely lasted that long, but as with most brews, the one you leave til last will taste the best. They do settle down with time though, and lose that initial over booziness that you can get. But that in my experience has only taken a couple of months tops.

BTW I brewed a berry beer based on a Tripel I brewed (I split it, half onto berries and half just as was).... although it was drinkable, it had a wine like taste that I didn't really get on with that got worse with age. The one I had not racked onto berries was fantastic, wished I hadn't bothered.... SWMBO liked the berry one though.

Milestone do a raspberry wheat beer kit which the chap at my local home brew shop says is good. It's on my list to do this spring with the hope of leaving it alone until summer.

Hi Stuarty, mine have rarely lasted that long, but as with most brews, the one you leave til last will taste the best. They do settle down with time though, and lose that initial over booziness that you can get. But that in my experience has only taken a couple of months tops.

BTW I brewed a berry beer based on a Tripel I brewed (I split it, half onto berries and half just as was).... although it was drinkable, it had a wine like taste that I didn't really get on with that got worse with age. The one I had not racked onto berries was fantastic, wished I hadn't bothered.... SWMBO liked the berry one though.

Thanks for the advice have seen a few different raspberry beers that I might try and get some advice off the guy in the brew store.

Would be good to have it brewed by start of year and leave until summer and hopefully taste good given the wait time :cheers:

Milestone do a raspberry wheat beer kit which the chap at my local home brew shop says is good. It's on my list to do this spring with the hope of leaving it alone until summer.

Thanks for the recommendation, actually seen that beer kit as well as the Belgian framboos by Brewferm when first in the store getting the kit etc but couldn't wait 3-6 months for first brew but since the first one is almost bottled I'll have that to drink and once finished that I can just brew another beer or ale while the raspberry beer is conditioning. :-D

With the Belgian beers also I've been told to use candied brewing sugar, does it make any difference?

Some folk say not, but having made, tasted and used candy sugar and syrup for my brews, the candy is very tasty, whereas sugar is not.... so yeah I think it's worth going the extra mile if you have time. it'll still turn out great if you just use sugar though I'm sure...

Some folk say not, but having made, tasted and used candy sugar and syrup for my brews, the candy is very tasty, whereas sugar is not.... so yeah I think it's worth going the extra mile if you have time. it'll still turn out great if you just use sugar though I'm sure...

Thanks very much, think will try the candy sugar, have been recommended it by a few people now so must make some difference. :thumb:

Also should add, that when making it yourself you control the final colour - I have made it in beautiful dark reds, which must also contribute to the colour of the brew, so not just a taste consideration.

Latest posts

Back