Belgian witbier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sound a good un Simon.

I normally leave my bottles for 4 weeks before I get stuck into them.But with my wit I only left it 2 weeks,as they recommend this type of brew can be drank while it is young. :thumb:

llannige said:
with my wit I only left it 2 weeks

Aye wil be doing similar, but hopefully mainly waiting till the end o fthe month for the wife's 30th. We are having a sort of garden/tea party so will be forcing elderflower champagne and the wit on unsuspecting guests. though if the wit turns out good I might ration that one ;)

After 24 hours the PET bottle I filled up so that we could check on condition and carbonation has already gone quite frim, so looks like carbonation will be OK.

Well, it has been nearly a week since we bottled this one, and I couldn't resist so we chilled one the "test" bottles which was a PET one. This one was bottled near the end, so conatins a little more yeast than ideal, so I didn't really swirl too much near the end so didn't get the thick creamy head that you should, but carbonation generally seemed OK. More like Hoegaarden level than the Erdinger that were drinking yesterday.

It smells great, lots of clove with the orange and coriander backing it up.

Colour is a fair way darker then Hoegaarden, but more like a Hefeweizen, but that is to be expected due to the malted wheat used, and the reduced volume boil. Have a look and see, resplendant in one of my recently aquired Erdinger glasses, I've already drunk a bit :cheers:
IMG_6689_small.jpg

First comment from the wife "Oooh, that's nice!" Good start :thumb:

Taste is pretty darn good, even this young, pretty balanced flavours with the orange and coriander, and as with the aroma, plenty of clove. Some fruity esters, but not really banana. Quite dry and tart, but sweet as well. The over-bitterness that was there when I sampled a bit whilst bottling is gone. Bottom line is it tastes a bit like a halfway house between a Belgian and German wheat beer, which considering the ingredients is hardly a surprise. Overall I'm pretty pleased with this. Will leave it a week and try another bottle. I'll have no issue with giving this to people to try.
I can see this will go quickly :drink:

That looks lovely & your description is great, well done that man!

:thumb:

Thanks chaps, I'm pretty chuffed with that as my first wheat beer attempt (3rd brew ever and 2nd extract one), even if it is a bit of a Frankenstein one.

I'll try and photo a full one complete with head whne I crack open one of the ones bottled earlier form the batch so have less yeast and can swirl properly and get a nice foamy head.

Latest posts

Back