Best for Bottle, Best for Cornie or Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackrat

Reaction score
Hi,
I still regard myself as having L plates when it comes to beer making, but I have found that the beers I have bottled are better than the one I put in the cornie. Of course it could just be that there was a problem with that one brew (Coopers Wheat Beer).

In general, are there beers that do better in a bottle and others that do better in a cornie? My guess is that lighter beers/lagers would be better in a bottle, but it is only a guess.
My tastes are quite varied, so I will probably be working through most of them for purely scientific research reasons of course.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers,

My findings from experience, it all depends on what you want.
Beer matures more quickly in bulk, less so in a bottle, so beers will appear more subdued over time in a corny whilst remaining very fresh in a bottle, so if you want to do a traditional IPA and can't wait, mature it in a corny and you'll be drinking it sooner. If you drink your beer young definitely use cornies as long as you drink the beer over a fairly short period, the lower the abv the shorter the period. Beer in cornies loses hop aroma very quickly, you can dry hop to compensate, beer in bottles retains aroma for longer...much longer.
Cornies are very convenient for long term storage of certain high end ABV beers, Imperial Russian Stouts, Barley Wines, high end IPA's etc. I'd love to test a long term bottled version v a long term corny version, I'm guessing the bottled version would be younger in taste for the same time maturing. As I said, just my experience :thumb:

Hi Vossy,
Thanks for the answer. I did a nice stout from Muntons which I would like to repeat, so perhaps I will put it in the cornie next time.
My only slight problem is that I haven't got a cooler for the cornie. Its in the coolest room in the house, but even this can get warm in the summer, assuming we have one.

Cheers

Vossy1 said:
I'd love to test a long term bottled version v a long term corny version, I'm guessing the bottled version would be younger in taste for the same time maturing.
Well, as I was dismantling the kegereezer due to the imminent arrival of its BMF replacement, I discovered a baby corny of 2008 Imperial Russian Stout tucked away in a corner . . . Now purley as a scientific experiement I am willing to sacrifice myself and have a half, and then compare that to a bottle that was done two years ago :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

:drink:

:drink:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! . . . What was the question?? :wha: :wha: :wha: :wha: :wha:

Latest posts

Back