Best fruit varieties for wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forkbeard

Reaction score
I'd like to be able to make my own stuff from my own trees if possible, and have moved into a house with enough space in the garden to plant a couple of them. Would anyone be able to suggest the pear or plum (or something else, I'm open to ideas) variety that results in the best end product?

Cheers in advance.

Damsons and elderberrys make good wine in my opinion

Also apples make good wine as well Cider :drink:

Something that I am thinking of planting is gooseberry - apparently they make excellent wine but it is almost impossible to buy proper English gosseberrys

not sure how long before any of tem take before you get fruit - except for pears which apparently take years

good luck :hat:

Aside from hops, ive just planted strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and redcurrants. all of which i plan on making a few different wines/beers.

You can always extend your interest beyond your own garden with Elderflowers and Elderberry, Sloes, Rose hips also make a great wine. In the season you'll be hard pushed to keep up with it.

There is a saying that "apples and pears, you plant for your heirs".

In other words, it's going to take many years before you get a big enough crop to be able to make wine.

Plums might be a bit quicker, but only use cold water methods.

Plant soft fruits. We bought a couple of blackberry twigs dirt cheap from Aldi or Lidl only 3-4 years ago and they have taken over one side of the garden. I have made no attempt to discourage them, but have been trying to train them. Year before last, quite a good crop. Last year, tons of the things, and no thorns.

Blackcurrants are worth planting, adding a few ounces really helps the winelike quality of owt made from other berries

Hadn't considered berries, although now you mention them that sounds like a good idea!

Might put some pears and plums in for the long term and see what else I can get going in the meantime. Never been much of a gardener but the possibilities are intriguing.

Blackthorn serves a dual purpose, as a hedge/windbreak and a fruit producer (sloes). I have whitecurrant and gooseberry bushes because these fruits are hard to obtain fresh. Rhubarb is quick to establish.

Back