Best Live Band You Have Seen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rage against the machine at TITP a few years back, it was just perfect, the place was bouncing and they're riffs are so funky. the guitarist Tom Morello took the guitar lead out and started using that as a plectrum to play his solo it was unreal!

snail59 said:
T'pau, The Levellers, Howard Jones and Iron Maidon. Among the many.

F**kers cancelled their Belfast gig in 1992 and never rescheduled. Still haven't forgiven them.

Best gig ever had to be The Cat Empire in Liverpool Academy. Flew over for the weekend with my bro, spent the weekend drinking Aussie rum in the Walkabout bar before heading to the gig with a bunch of Aussie madmen we got talking to. Class night.

Too many to think which was actually the best, suffered from tinnitus for a few days after the ELP concert @ The Guild Hall Preston, nearly got blinded by a thunderflash @ Genises Live, great fun :party:

........ but started going to some big concerts in about 1969 and went to the infamous Isle of Wight Festival in 1970 :grin: :grin: which was a very wild time indeed :party: ended up taking penicillin for 2 weeks following the festival, caught something that was going round :oops: but was careful to get to the Docs when my Auntie was day off, she was a receptionist, would've been rather embarrasing :? but some of the groups over the years included

The Who
Stones
Deep Purple
The Doors
Genesis
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Canned Heat
Black Sabbath
Tull
Quo
Ten Years After
Groundhogs
Pink Floyd
Free

was lucky to 'work' at a few University concerts :thumb:
I got the 'job' of looking after Nazareth and had to keep them supplied with Newcastle Brown and whisky before during and after the gig, got incredibly ****** with 'em :drunk:
Did the stage lighting with a mate for Mungo Jerry :!: and the Scaffold :whistle: again, 'working' :cool:

and a few others I might remember through the fog of time, shytte thats round 40 years ago :oops: :oops: oh well, happy times :party: :drunk: :whistle:

Baz Chaz said:
The Who
Stones
Deep Purple
The Doors
Genesis
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Canned Heat
Black Sabbath
Tull
Quo
Ten Years After
Groundhogs
Pink Floyd
Free

Decent list there Baz, seen a lot of those myself, those festivals of the early 70s were something else. For what it's worth I work for Keith Emersons cousin, met him once, not of this planet.
At those festivals Rod Stewart and the Faces were really good as well, before he got to far up his own ****.

You must be about the same age/era as me then D :thumb: Yes, they were weird and wonderful times :whistle:

Our mob were scattered though the Universities of this country, so often went visiting round different unis, Loughborough and Nottingham used to have get of the best groups, but it was amazing some of the (small) venues some of the big groups played.

Having thought about it, in part answer to the OP, probably DEEP PURPLE live in 1973 @ The Manchester Free Trade Hall with Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore, Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice :cool:

Still a tough choice though, was lucky enough to see some pretty awesome bands back then :thumb:

Being an old fart too I've been fortunate to see a lot of brilliant acts over the years too many to list and many more than once. Saw The Smiths in the lower coomon room at the UEA before they became really famous and that was special. Saw the Undertones in their first gig in the UK supporting the Rezillos. Ian Dury & The Blockheads when Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick was number one. U2 on the War Tour in Brighton. Then Jericho at the UEA. David Bowie Serious Moonlight Tour Milton Keynes Bowl (hate large venues though). SImple Minds during New Gold Dream era. Most recent Snow Patrol. I love live music and have enjoyed gigs in pubs by bands I have never heard of just because they captured the mood. When a band is on song, when you can see that they themselves are enjoying every minute, your in for a treat no matter what the standard.

Ooooh difficult one, the stand out ones

U2 joshua tree tour
Fleetwood Mac Tango in the Night tour (Stevie Nicks :whistle: )
Bryan Adams seen 4x. Poor stage show but fabulous music
Rainbow at Donington Rock Festival

Oh just to add

Diana Ross, it was a birthday gift for my wife, not really my cup of tea but with having two older sisters listening to her records when I was little, I knew every song so it turned out a great evening.

Whitney Houston in the 90's in her prime. Simply fantastic.

Would have loved to have seen Queen live.

First that come to my mind from the old times are Weather Report (still with Jaco Pastorius) and Neil Young.
Lately the best was a Dave Matthews Band gig 3 years ago.

andyh said:

U2 joshua tree tour

i was at the joshua tree tour at Wembley when was about 14 and its was amazing :)

seen them most tours sins but nothing matched that

Barticus said:
Would have loved to have seen Queen live.

I saw them when they were fairly unknown, backing I think it was Mott the hopple. They were awful. Went to the bar after around 20 minuets.

dennisking said:
Went to the bar after around 20 minuets.
Bloody hell! If they were playing French dance tunes I'm surprised you stuck it out that long.

Moley said:
dennisking said:
Went to the bar after around 20 minuets.
Bloody hell! If they were playing French dance tunes I'm surprised you stuck it out that long.

OK OK don't take the p*ss, we can all make spelling mistakes, or I may be dyslexic.

dennisking said:
I saw them when they were fairly unknown, backing I think it was Mott the hopple.

So taking this a step further what was the best SUPPORT band you have seen.

I saw UB40 at the NEC and they had a support band called Simply Red........... Wonder what happened to them..... :lol: :lol:

snail59 said:
....... So taking this a step further what was the best SUPPORT band you have seen.

Easy, in the Princess Margaret Hall St Martins College 1974ish Mungo Jerry was the headline and the support group didn't turn up, so ....

The Smarties

Millsy on the comb and paper
Me on waste paper bin
Terry who was the only one amongst us who could play a guitar
a couple of the girls to wiggle their bits about and sing

we went down a riot it was hilarious, needless to say a great deal of alcohol was involved :rofl:

Me and Millsy actually did the stage lighting for the event, luckily just sober enough to operate the lighting, well until the main event finished :drunk:

Toastie said:
andyh said:

U2 joshua tree tour

i was at the joshua tree tour at Wembley when was about 14 and its was amazing :)

seen them most tours sins but nothing matched that

Yeah Wembley for me too, can't remember which night though, I think they played two nights there. I do remember "Bullet the blue sky" making the stands vibrate. GREAT.

snail59 said:
So taking this a step further what was the best SUPPORT band you have seen.

Not so much a support band, more of a unheard of band. I told this story over on Jims not long ago so apology's if you've read it. I used to go to a local blues/rock club every Monday. Christmas eve 1971 we turned up to find out the promoter had pulled the plug. The club was based in a room at a pub so we just went into the bar. Sitting at the bar the band came in, they had not got the message it had been cancelled. I heard them speaking to the landlord telling him they did not even have the petrol money to get home. The landlord agreeded to let them play and take a collection on the door, I'm sure he was thinking of his takings. The band played over 2 hours and were brilliant with several ovations, their name. Thin Lizzy. To cap a great night I also pulled. ;)

Latest posts

Back