best time to rack?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysbrew

Regular.
Reaction score
Have a plum wine and a port on the go at the minute and they have both slowed down fermentation, they both have a small amount of sediment at the bottom, should I rack now or wait until fermentation ceases?

Thanks

I would also like to know how to do the raking? I've heard that it helps get rid of the sediment and the bottom.

I wasn't asking how to rack, I was asking whether it's the right time to rack, to rack a wine you need a clean sterilized demi John and siphon the wine into this using a length of clear pipe available at all good brew shops, I put my wine on kitchen worktop and the empty demi John on the floor be careful not to disturb the sediment at the bottom, you don't want any of that in your fresh demi John, top up with syrup to original strength and 're fit air lock.

Yeah, I wanted to know how to rack. Saw the title you put on and thought I would ask.

So all you do is put the brew into a new bin / demi John / whatever trying to keep all the sediment in the old one? How many times would you do it for cider?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to home brew (only done one brew so far).

Tim

Thanks Moley will do!

Tim I'm new to this game myself and have never made cider, do you even rack cider?? No idea, hopefully someone will come on with more knowledge than me.

I never rack my TurboCider. People using real apples might need to, but the ferment is done in 3 weeks tops so there doesn't seem much point. If you're maturing in bulk rather than bottling I guess the transfer to the maturing vessel counts as racking.

Latest posts

Back