Best way of adding Chilli

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncleinan

Reaction score
I have tried a couple of chilli beers at recent festivals and thought I would give one a go.

I have bought a Wilko's Cerveza Kit in their sale but just need some guidance of how/when to add the Chilli.

Do I add to the Primary FV or perhaps put some in the secondary. I though about just putting a chilli in each bottle?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers

Put flaked Chilli in primary in a bag. If you want it hotter put chilli powder in a small amount of vodka to infuse that for about a month then put the vodka in your beer.

I wouldnt fancy putting chilli powder direct into the brew itself

Let us know how you get on Chilli beer cerveza sounds like it would be a hit at one of my summer BBQs :party:

I would add the chilli post fermentation and use fresh chillis as you want the taste of the chillis not just the heat. By doing it this way you can monitor thow the chillli changes the taste of the brew and take them out and bottle when it is right for you :thumb:

You can use fresh chillis on the infusion finely chopped and strained before the brew. You will get the chilli flavour that way.

The flake would give heat and a slight spice but probably not the chilli taste.

What chillis you going to use?

I tend to like pretty spicy food so probably the small birds eye ones. I may just add a whole chilli to each bottle and see how much taste/heat I get from that?

I would bottle 25% of them whole chilli, 25% half, 25% quarter and 25% just a couple of snippets. Then you can gauge How much is best. You may ruin 5 gallons of beer with a chilli in each bottle!

Edit: :sick:

Back