Best way to transfer from FV to PB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that's particularly fair. We're here to help in the same way the staff at a homebrew shop are. Homebrew shops can be a daunting place for the new brewer. I saw it just this weekend - a couple new to brewing afraid to ask silly questions in front of staff and customers. Hopefully they'll come back.

This is a friendly, open forum and long may it remain so :cheers:

Might just be me but I made sure I knew the whole process from start to finish before I even began my first brew. What I'd need and when I'd need it. Some people clearly don't take the same approach as me but some people like to learn on the job!

I remember Andy (The OP) made a thread recently stating that he was going to tip the fermenter into his keg and I thought that was an odd terminology :rofl:

Paul Narramore said:
Andy

Some of your questions are so elemental and basic, I wonder what research you've carried out before embarking on this homebrewing hobby.

I agree that is a little harsh, after all we are a homebrew forum and everyone has to start somewhere.

Andy ask what ever question you like someone will give you an answer. :thumb:

London water isn't good for starsan. PH close to 8, goes cloudy fairly quickly. Probably time I get some ashbeck water from tesco.

I only use garden hand sprayer.

mcc111 said:
We're here to help in the same way the staff at a homebrew shop are.
I bloomin' well hope not. Some of the staff at the LHBS I have been in are woeful. Not just a lack of knowledge, but just plain handing out bad advice.

It's one of the reasons I have the slight tendency to go off on one (a bit) when I see some of the advice being given out on here.

Just one thing to say Andy . . .When using Milton, Make sure that you DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. they are for baby bottle sterilising. Milton is a chlorine based steriliser and as such MUST BE RINSED VERY VERY thoroughly before using to hold beer . . . Don't worry about it if you didn't do it this time, but make sure that you do in future

Aleman said:
mcc111 said:
I bloomin' well hope not. Some of the staff at the LHBS I have been in are woeful. Not just a lack of knowledge, but just plain handing out bad advice.

My point still stands - the forum is here to share knowledge. I do agree about homebrew shops though - as I said earlier in this thread, I went into my LHBS asking for no rinse steriliser and came out with oxy cleaner. No wonder my first couple of brews were iffy. The strength with this forum is that you're crowd sourcing information rather than getting it from one person behind a counter.

Aleman said:
mcc111 said:

It's one of the reasons I have the slight tendency to go off on one (a bit) when I see some of the advice being given out on here.
<SNIP>
:lol: Very true. The owner of one LHBS informed me that kits were so good now that all grain brewing is pointless and only something done by people who want to make "weird" beers.

mcc111 said:
Aleman said:
mcc111 said:
My point still stands - the forum is here to share knowledge.
Not going to argue with you on that point. The number of people that helped me on my path to brewing were incredibly generous with their time an knowledge. The only way I can repay that is to pass on everything that I know. . . It just gets frustrating sometimes :twisted:

Crowd sourcing information can be great, but not all people have a sound grasp of the topic that they have an opinion on

tim_n said:
http://www.howtobrew.com/[/url]

it's free, it's chock full of useful information.[/quote:23kaixxo]
Anything free is worth what you pay for it!

The online version of HTB is also full of errors and superseded practices . . . and being US necessary fears and practices . . .The Printed version (3rd edition) is reasonably good however.

Home Brew Beer is a much better option for brewers in the UK, as it is much more down to earth, and UK centric ;)

Paul

your approach suggests you have more time than me and can spend time studying the ins and outs of homebrewing. Unfortunately I don't get a lot of spare time and have jumped in at the deep end, and when I am unsure I ask the more experienced members on here.

Everyone learns differently and I prefer to learn on the job!.

Andysbrew said:
Paul

your approach suggests you have more time than me and can spend time studying the ins and outs of homebrewing. Unfortunately I don't get a lot of spare time and have jumped in at the deep end, and when I am unsure I ask the more experienced members on here.

Keep asking questions. I sit in a senior position at work, I keep questioning everything. And surprise surprise people utter things parrot fashion without knowing why or what just deferring to someone else's superiority. It may not be their way of doing things but it doesn't (necessarily) mean it's wrong...

That doesn't work? Why not?
What does that actually mean?

Otherwise how does anyone learn.

When you start saying 'RTM' you're not adding anything - but similarly you have to understand that old members on forums have answered the same question time and time again. They'd be better off not commenting when that's their attitude and let some more enthusiastic newer member help out and keep an eye on the answers, stepping in if the advice is pure wrong or dangerous.

Pitching the wort via a jug is a bad idea as it aerates the beer which'll make it stale. Saying that you _could_ do it with a jug assuming you flooded the pressure barrel and FV regularly with CO2 and were careful not to disturb sediment from the FV. It's a silly way of doing things but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. You would be at a greater risk of infection though. If I had a CO2 tank, I'd be tempted to prove my point. But I don't and I don't fancy wasting £20 of beer in that sort of trial. Sounds like a laugh though.

Actually I dived into homebrewing when I started in my early teens - the beer was absolutely atrocious and if I'd not been a penny pinching student I might never have tried it again (this is the main reason why 'RTM' because we want you to have a good and easy time of brewing without a failure on your first attempt). I read the 'outdated' how to brew, understood the basics and got on with it. My extract brews were absolutely fine, I started playing with the recipes by adding fresh hops to extract, I had a mini pub in the garden, often had groups of people over - even had people banging on the door for more beer of an evening.

I have a length of clear pipe from home brew shop and I plan to use that, if I take my time hopefully I won't disturb the sediment.

I teach Karate and I don't mind answering the same questions from students as long as they are taking it in, I am black belt in Karate but only white belt in home brewing, hopefully I will learn quickly and produce some good beers!

Every expert was once a beginner!

Cheers!

Andysbrew said:
I have a length of clear pipe from home brew shop and I plan to use that, if I take my time hopefully I won't disturb the sediment.

I teach Karate and I don't mind answering the same questions from students as long as they are taking it in, I am black belt in Karate but only white belt in home brewing, hopefully I will learn quickly and produce some good beers!

Every expert was once a beginner!

Cheers!

Just don't suck on the pipe to start the syphon, your mouth is filthy bacteria wise. I've tended to fill the pipe with 2/3rds sterilising solution (making sure the 1/3 that isn't filled is in the beer with the sterilising solution in a separate sanitised bucket. It's worth clamping it to the FV to stop it moving. Keep a sanitised brewers thumb on the end so it doesn't drain suddenly into the brew, then making sure the FV is up high and your pipe, bucket and brewers thumb is as low as possible, let it drain. As soon as the beer is being sucked up and down into the bucket, kink the hose and lower it into the PB. Release the kink when it's at the bottom and the PB should fill up. Good idea to pre prime the barrel before doing this!

Next time stick a tap on the FV and it's much easier. I'm fitting a tap onto a bucket for bottling.

Water in the pipe first - excellent tip and so simple! Yet I totally missed it :doh: . I've been sucking it through, but trying to keep my mouth away (lips on fingers to keep some distance from pipe). I've now got a secondary with a tap, but I'll still have to rack from primary to secondary with piping.

Thanks Tim

That seems to be sinking in slowly......

I plan on siphoning straight into my Pressure Barrel.

ok youngs/wilko syphon come with a inline tap, so suck on open tap until your brew gets moving, close tap with brew inline, sanitize tap, open tap into pb job done. :wha:

Andysbrew said:
Paul

You can read the book I recommended in an hour or two. Surely you can find time to do that? And as for sucking on the syphon tube, it's something I've always done, and always will. Bacteria? I'll have to tell my wife about that. :grin:

"Learning on the job?" That's a sure way to make mistakes. As I am writing this in the warmth of my study, I have perhaps 200 or so books on the book shelves covering subjects as diverse as motor racing to gardening. I've just finished a nine month restoration of a 25yr old BMW motorbike and I would never have embarked on this with reading everything I could find on the subject first. Mistakes are infuriating and expensive. OK, ask questions when the answers can't be found in the reference books (Haynes is notorious for omitting important information) but a smidgeon of commonsense is needed too.

Back