Best yeast for Barley wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
So, one of my FV's is soon to be freed up and I've got a can of Youngs barley wine kicking about. I was thinking about brewing it up, but the listed 5 - 6% abv just isn't going to cut the mustard for a barley wine as far as I'm concerned. Obviously I was thinking about brewing short, but was also thinking of brewing up with Coopers brew enhancer 2 and some additional DME, and if appropriate, more brewing sugar.

What yeast do you guys think would be most suitable to really kick it up a level? Also, any other ideas gratefully received!

As strong as possible! If I'm thinking correctly, I need to choose my yeast carefully so it can withstand higher alcohol levels?

I've always been interested in trying a barley wine. I'm a big fan of most which I've tasted, but I think they probably fall into the modern craft camp. I can remember enjoying some from Mikkeler, Brewdog and Brodie's. All had a massive butterscotch flavour, and sometimes a raisin-like soft fruity flavour. I've got one recipe book which suggests a grain and LME mix, but I'm not entirely sure what's important for achieving that flavour.

If you add the BE2, a kg of DME and 500g sugar you will get to about 9% if you stick to 24 pints.

Yeast wise, a pack of S04 or Nottingham or US05 would all do thethe job. You can get Nottingham from Wilko for £1.75, sold as Gervin Ale yeast. Don't use a 5 or 6g kit yeast packet, it's not enough yeast. Rehydrate the yeast you use in water at 35-40C in a sterilised jug for half an hour before pitching.

Do you think the yeast has a relatively large bearing on the flavour of a barley wine in particular? I don't think it's an ester-y taste or a bready-taste, so I'd be interested to know if the yeast has any contribution to that fruity/toffee flavour.

Rather than contribute, yeasts vary in the degree to which they take malt and hop flavour away, I think.

I think the malts used and the alcohol, and perhaps the hops, contribute to the fruity/toffee flavour. Crystal malts give a toffee flavour. Fruitness can come from malts, hops and yeast. Fruitiness can be added by yeast, especially if fermented above 20C rather than below, and depending on the yeast strain.

A good experiment would be to split a batch and ferment with different yeasts. US05 leaves more malt and hop flavour behind but contributes very little flavour itself, temeperatures differences don't make much difference. Nottingham is similar and leaves a little more yeast flavour, but not much. I wouldn't ferment Nottingham above 20C though, personally. S04 does not attenuate as much as the other two, but clears well, and provides some fruitiness if kept above 20C. It may leave a FG that's a bit too high in a barley wine, perhaps.

Another dried yeast I've used successfully is Mauribrew Ale, which is pretty clean like US05, but provides some fruitness if you ferment at 22-24C, I've found. None of these yeasts are spectacular, but they are all good and reliable and do the job. I've made very good beers with all of them. If you want to go up the gears you could consider a liquid yeast, but you would need to make a yeast starter with a liquid yeast vial in order to make a barley wine strength beer.

That's some good advice, so thanks Clibit. It's why I was particularly asking about the yeast. I can add all the sugar and enhancers in the world, but if the yeast can't handle it, it all becomes a waste of time.
I'm conscious of using quality yeast, and I do have a pack of S-04, although like you said, it may not be ideal. As far as liquid yeasts go, I've read on another forum that people have had good success with either Wyeast 1968 or 1728, so it may well be that I give one of those a go if I want to really try and sex it up. It's expensive stuff, but I want to get something going for next Christmas, and given that quality barley wine takes ages to come good, it might just be worth it.

Ian.

I'm going to try my first barley wine brew in a few weeks time. It will also be using my first liquid yeast. I've chosen White Labs WLP007; it gets some really good reviews about ability to eat up the sugars, speed of fermentation and clarity.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

That's interesting, as S04 is a dried version of the same yeast I believe.

That's interesting, as S04 is a dried version of the same yeast I believe.

Don't tell me that now I've splashed out the best part of seven quid on it when I could've made an SO4 starter...I thought we were virtual mates!

Whatever I will let all and sundry know how it goes; I'm actually going to brew a couple of other beers (a pale ale and and ESB) with it before I do the barley wine.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

I wouldn't worry, a lot of people use the liquid version and won't use the dried from what I've read.

Latest posts

Back