BIAB FV volume issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmass96

Reaction score
Hi folks.

Wonder if you could help. I've always brewed BIAB, not really ever had any issues...but...

I can never seem to get my overall intended FV volume. I usually aim for 11L in total, but always end up with 9 or 10. I wonder if I'm not sparging correctly.

I usually mash with 11L (as per a pre-set recipe I bought from my homebrew supplier) and then use 6L for sparge water. I put a metal grill tray thing over the top of the kettle (sanitised of course) and make sure I get what I can from the grains

As such, I usually end up with a higher ABV - my latest brew that's in primary now should've been approx. 5.5%, but it's actually gonna end up approx. 6.5% lol. Any advice?

Cheers,
Ben.

You need to account for all your loses... kettle,grain absorption and boil off. You are also right in saying your sparge may be affecting things... not enough and you'll never get the amount you want

It is probably not be best practice but I tend to just top out with cold water in the fermentor to bring up to the correct volume, which seems to work.

Maybe try mashing with an extra litre of water if you always come out a litre under and keep adjusting until you find what quantity of input water gives you the right volume into you fermenter

Latest posts

Back