BIAB - Numpty Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. You have to spill the beans on the upgrades. I'm already looking at a budget recirc pump but very interested in other upgrades too.
The link below is of a similar pump to the one i bought, similar price also, just be careful of the temperature capabilities of any pump you buy as you plan to pump hot wort through it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HSeaMall-B...=1672474917&sprefix=water+pump,aps,97&sr=8-68
The rest of my gear is being collected later this morning from Screwfix, nothing complicated and well within the capabilities of even a novice DIY’er. I’ll post photo’s later once i get it all assembled.

The malt pipe. I made mine but something like this one below is perfect if you don’t have access to welding and fabrication facilitie.

Boiler Sparge Grain Holder including middle ring. Not a bad price either. I scoured the net for open of these but were all out of stock so i made my own, but if this was available back then i would have bought it for sure.

There’s loads of upgrades you can do, but my advice is stick with what you have for now and get used to brewing all grain. I’m just impatient and the BIAB method was a bit of a pfaff for me and messy as well, but that’s probably down to a lack of experience on my part. I didn’t really understand the whole process.
The one upgrade i would definitely make from the start is ditch the bags and get a malt pipe, that’s just my personal preference tho. Both methods will produce good quality beers.

The link below is of a similar pump to the one i bought, similar price also, just be careful of the temperature capabilities of any pump you buy as you plan to pump hot wort through it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HSeaMall-B...=1672474917&sprefix=water+pump,aps,97&sr=8-68
The rest of my gear is being collected later this morning from Screwfix, nothing complicated and well within the capabilities of even a novice DIY’er. I’ll post photo’s later once i get it all assembled.

The malt pipe. I made mine but something like this one below is perfect if you don’t have access to welding and fabrication facilitie.

Boiler Sparge Grain Holder including middle ring. Not a bad price either. I scoured the net for open of these but were all out of stock so i made my own, but if this was available back then i would have bought it for sure.

There’s loads of upgrades you can do, but my advice is stick with what you have for now and get used to brewing all grain. I’m just impatient and the BIAB method was a bit of a pfaff for me and messy as well, but that’s probably down to a lack of experience on my part. I didn’t really understand the whole process.
The one upgrade i would definitely make from the start is ditch the bags and get a malt pipe, that’s just my personal preference tho. Both methods will produce good quality beers.
As promised, here’s some photo’s of the mods i made today, still only a 1st pass at it and once i get the PID all wired up i might streamline the plumbing, but the layout and components won’t change, maybe just the run of the plumbing might change slightly.

So basically you need:
4 x 1/2” Tap - 15mm connectors.
1 x 15mm x 15mm 1/4 turn ball valve. (The type you see on washing machines etc)
A few 15mm elbows, you could use ”Yorkshire” fittings if you’re not good at soldering.
And I’ve used a watering can rose to spread the water but plan to change that to a shower head which will give a much better spread.

Attachments

• 29B5C0C8-36ED-44E1-A41B-764016598DAD.jpeg
    29B5C0C8-36ED-44E1-A41B-764016598DAD.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
  • F94C2A58-5F5E-45A7-B293-0E41FADD3857.jpeg
    F94C2A58-5F5E-45A7-B293-0E41FADD3857.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3278A715-A631-4162-9EEA-B8D0507A4513.jpeg
    3278A715-A631-4162-9EEA-B8D0507A4513.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • A697EB56-CD08-4411-90B1-D10135583D99.jpeg
    A697EB56-CD08-4411-90B1-D10135583D99.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0
As promised, here’s some photo’s of the mods i made today, still only a 1st pass at it and once i get the PID all wired up i might streamline the plumbing, but the layout and components won’t change, maybe just the run of the plumbing might change slightly.

So basically you need:
4 x 1/2” Tap - 15mm connectors.
1 x 15mm x 15mm 1/4 turn ball valve. (The type you see on washing machines etc)
A few 15mm elbows, you could use ”Yorkshire” fittings if you’re not good at soldering.
And I’ve used a watering can rose to spread the water but plan to change that to a shower head which will give a much better spread.

Fantastic - I love the ingenuity of it!

Is this not it? Showing as in stock for me? Says Mash-proof, but proof can be a translation of the German "fest".

Klarstein Mash-Proof Boiler - Mash Kettle, Beer Brewing Plant, 2 Stages: 1500/3000 W, 5-Piece Set, Filter Bucket, Cooling Coil, LCD Display, Drain, Silver, 35 litres Klarstein Mash-Proof Boiler - Mash Kettle, Beer Brewing Plant, 2 Stages: 1500/3000 W, 5-Piece Set, Filter Bucket, Cooling Coil, LCD Display, Drain, Silver, 35 litres : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

View attachment 80042
Thanks for this! I was looking at something from The Malt Miller for a similar cost
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/pro...kit-modified-grainfather-sparge-water-heater/But this has no digital temp control, and doesn't come with cooling coil etc. That Klarstien looks a total bargain in comparison, although a little smaller. I'm just starting to look at BIAB for corny volumes, so stumbling over this post has been ideal! Thanks.

Last edited:
Cheers, i have just measured it and it will fit ? has it got feet and do you get the outer ring to sit it on while sparging
Just to avoid any crossed wires, which basket are you referring to?

This one?

https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/boiler-sparge-grain-holder/
If yes, then reading the description i would say no it doesn’t mate, but i could be wrong. I guess you could contact Lovebrewing for clarity. Or maybe source one elsewher, but to be honest a couple of sticks of wood layed over the top of your boiler should be OK to get you going. A bit Heath Robinson but it’ll work.

Can you use the basket in place of a bag for BIAB?
Yes, that’s what I’m doing today mate.

The Bag as in BIAB is just a vessel to hold the grains, a basket is exactly that also. BIAB is the simplest form of “All Grain” brewing. The new style Grainfathers, Brewzilla etc are a step up from BIAB and use a basket or Malt Pipe as they are also called to hold the grains instead of a bag. But, either can be used, i just think bags are a bit messier, or at least they are when i use them :)

Yes, that’s what I’m doing today mate.

The Bag as in BIAB is just a vessel to hold the grains, a basket is exactly that also. BIAB is the simplest form of “All Grain” brewing. The new style Grainfathers, Brewzilla etc are a step up from BIAB and use a basket or Malt Pipe as they are also called to hold the grains instead of a bag. But, either can be used, i just think bags are a bit messier, or at least they are when i use them :)
Perfect - thanks. I guess it means a sparge is usually needed then as you can't squeeze out thr basket?

Perfect - thanks. I guess it means a sparge is usually needed then as you can't squeeze out thr basket?
Yeah, but you’d normally sparge regardless which method you use. I’ve gone down the re-circ pump route, but you can also use a measuring jug or similar. Really, you’re just trying to extract as much sugar from the grains as possible and also get your pre-boil volumes right.

Like i said above i have a brewzilla gen 3, the klarstein was my first kettle i bought in 2019 it is a really good kettle, i was thinking of doing no sparge smaller brews to go in bottles stouts and porters that kind of stuff

Hi Mate, I have just been given the upgrade kit for my digiboil set up which has the grain basket - thus going from BIAB to having a basket. I previously did full volume BIAB with no sparge and I'm thinking of doing the same with the basket, just going to leave the basket to drain whilst the wort is coming to the boil (and maybe use my large spoon to squeeze sone wort out). I'm going to see how that does and set up a recirculation system during the mash. I'll let you know how it goes, planning a brew next weekend to try the basket, don't think I'll have the recirculation system set up by then. I have read on here someone sparging with cold water. I may also try this if my numbers are low as I don't have an easy way to heat sparge water, and TBH I don't have the space for an extra vessel. 👍🍻🍻

One final question (sorry... For now!). I read that the coil is 8mm OD. Anyone know if I can just use John Guest speed fit / duotight fitting on it?

Hi Mate, I have just been given the upgrade kit for my digiboil set up which has the grain basket - thus going from BIAB to having a basket. I previously did full volume BIAB with no sparge and I'm thinking of doing the same with the basket, just going to leave the basket to drain whilst the wort is coming to the boil (and maybe use my large spoon to squeeze sone wort out). I'm going to see how that does and set up a recirculation system during the mash. I'll let you know how it goes, planning a brew next weekend to try the basket, don't think I'll have the recirculation system set up by then. I have read on here someone sparging with cold water. I may also try this if my numbers are low as I don't have an easy way to heat sparge water, and TBH I don't have the space for an extra vessel. 👍🍻🍻

Thanks. Does the basket sit on a ridge somewhere in the main vessel to allow it to be lifted up but supported, or will it need an external support / pulley /hook type setup?

Understand mate, but i currently have a brew on the go right now and basically I’ve used the mash kettle to heat the sparge water and I’ve gone 10 degrees over the required 80 degrees with the view that it will drop at least ten degrees whilst waiting for the mash.

A while back i bought a plastic bucket intending to make a Heath Robinson style malt pipe, but changed my design so said bucket is surplus and is now holding my sparge water While the strike water heats up.

This looks even more of a bargain, with recirculation and more advanced controls. Any thoughts?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VEVOR-Home-Beer-Brewer-Auto/dp/B0B4SZT6X1
Looks like a good bit of kit mate and my only advice, and this might not even apply to you, but i would go for 35litres if possible.
I do 23 litre brews and to get that 23 ltrs you need to start with around 30 ltrs so you’re at max capacity with no room for errors. Having said that my Klarstein shows the max level (30ltrs) approx 2 inches below the top so it may be OK for you.
Very good price like.

Looks like a good bit of kit mate and my only advice, and this might not even apply to you, but i would go for 35litres if possible.
I do 23 litre brews and to get that 23 ltrs you need to start with around 30 ltrs so you’re at max capacity with no room for errors. Having said that my Klarstein shows the max level (30ltrs) approx 2 inches below the top so it may be OK for you.
Very good price like.
Good spot - I missed that it's 30L and not 35.

Latest posts

Back