BIAB - Numpty Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Branny

Beer swillin, pie munchin, fat mon
Reaction score
Hi all,

I apologise in advance, I've done so much 'research' in terms of reading and videos I'm now more confused than ever.

I will be ordering my 35L Maischfest on Xmas day and want to do simple and quick BIABs in it given that I'm time poor. Brewing will be done once the young uns go to bed at about 8pm so my plan is to do no sparge.

I want to make 19L of Keggable beer.

To get 19L do I need to go with x1.5 of output volume - thus 28.5L water? In terms of efficiency x1.2 of BIAB kit - thus 23L kit?

Sorry for the numpty questions on this and any help is hugely appreciated.

Thanks
B

To help with your calculations ,when i was using my 35l Maishfest ,i would allow ,5l for boil off ,2l for dead space /trub and .9l per kg of grain. So for a fairly standard 5 percent brew i would need approx 33l of wort at start of brewing to give me 23l in the fermenter,
Hopefully this may help you a bit

Hi, I do BIAB full volume brews and take the figure given in the water section of my recipe in brewfather as a guide (found towards the bottom of your recipe page). You'll see it gives a breakdown of mash vol, sparge vol and total vol. You will have to do a few brews to calculate efficiency which will affect you hitting your numbers. My efficiency is around 65% using this method. Don't be afraid to give the bag a good squeeze. Have fun 👍

I do BIAB in a 35 litre digiboil. My general volumes are 25 litre mash, followed by a 10 litre dunk sparge.

I top the boiler up to 30-31 litres which is about where I'm comfortable having it. Sometimes a litre of two of sparge liquor will get chucked, all depends on levels of grain absorption.

After that it will obviously boil down, and then there's the dead space at the bottom but generally speaking this 25/10 volume gets me 23 litres or thereabouts into the FV.

Once you do your first brew all of this will become second nature really.

Good advice from all Especially the end bit by Brewnaldo, that you will soon fathom it out what suits you best after a try or 2, it may sound daunting but in a couple of brews you'll wander what all the worry was athumb..

Sod's law - asked people for Amazon vouchers for Xmas with the intent of purchasing from there (helped by Klarsteins £20 off coupon too). I went to order on Xmas night and all sold out. I spoke to Klarstein yesterday and no Amazon restock is due from them until April.

Has anyone bought/know of a similar bit of kit from Amazon? Otherwise, it's a short wait for me.

Thanks

Sod's law - asked people for Amazon vouchers for Xmas with the intent of purchasing from there (helped by Klarsteins £20 off coupon too). I went to order on Xmas night and all sold out. I spoke to Klarstein yesterday and no Amazon restock is due from them until April.

Has anyone bought/know of a similar bit of kit from Amazon? Otherwise, it's a short wait for me.

Thanks
I use a digiboil 35 litre, made by Kegland

Thanks, both. Unfortunately, Digiboil isn't available on Amazon so I can't use the vouchers on it.
I use a digiboil 35 litre, made by Kegland

I use the same...have just been given the upgrade kit which I can't wait to try. BIAB was going well, but I'm hoping the grain basket will improve my efficiency and make life a bit easier. The digiboil is a good bit of kit👍

Is this not it? Showing as in stock for me? Says Mash-proof, but proof can be a translation of the German "fest".

Klarstein Mash-Proof Boiler - Mash Kettle, Beer Brewing Plant, 2 Stages: 1500/3000 W, 5-Piece Set, Filter Bucket, Cooling Coil, LCD Display, Drain, Silver, 35 litres Klarstein Mash-Proof Boiler - Mash Kettle, Beer Brewing Plant, 2 Stages: 1500/3000 W, 5-Piece Set, Filter Bucket, Cooling Coil, LCD Display, Drain, Silver, 35 litres : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

Screenshot_20221229_202632_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Is this not it? Showing as in stock for me? Says Mash-proof, but proof can be a translation of the German "fest".

Klarstein Mash-Proof Boiler - Mash Kettle, Beer Brewing Plant, 2 Stages: 1500/3000 W, 5-Piece Set, Filter Bucket, Cooling Coil, LCD Display, Drain, Silver, 35 litres Klarstein Mash-Proof Boiler - Mash Kettle, Beer Brewing Plant, 2 Stages: 1500/3000 W, 5-Piece Set, Filter Bucket, Cooling Coil, LCD Display, Drain, Silver, 35 litres : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

View attachment 80042
That's the one but the seller is showing as BBG Beer Cup for me, not Klarstein themselves. Ordinarily I wouldn't mind but BBG is showing as a new seller.

Brilliant - thank you. Will make the order.
You would be subject to Amazon customer care in the event it didn't show up or anything anyway, and despite them being an utterly horrific institution, I can honestly say they have always been quite good at rectifying issues in the past for me

You would be subject to Amazon customer care in the event it didn't show up or anything anyway, and despite them being an utterly horrific institution, I can honestly say they have always been quite good at rectifying issues in the past for me
I've been a prime member pretty much since its inception (given that the huge majority of non food related items we buy come from via/Amazon) and I've always found their CS to be exceptional - even when slightly out of warranty. I'm hopeful all will be good - need to decide which AG kit to go with now (probably a smash). Thanks all.

I've been a prime member pretty much since its inception (given that the huge majority of non food related items we buy come from via/Amazon) and I've always found their CS to be exceptional - even when slightly out of warranty. I'm hopeful all will be good - need to decide which AG kit to go with now (probably a smash). Thanks all.
Rest assure mate, Klarstein are decent quality and while i have no experience of other brands, i own a Klarstein and it serves me well.
Bottom line, it’s a big kettle, capable of mashing and boiling and will hold any given temperature, so as equipment goes it’s pretty basic but that’s not necessarily a bad thing for a beginner ( I am also)

I’m currently modifying mine to make it more like an all in one, 1- cos i can and have the skills, 2- i love making stuff and the fact that it’s a cheaper alternative to splashing out £500 (ish) on an all in one.
I bought the Klarstein 2nd hand foir around £70 and spent another £50 or so upgrading it so I’m well chuffed and have learnt a lot in the process.

Last edited:
Rest assure mate, Klarstein are decent quality and while i have no experience of other brands, i own a Klarstein and it serves me well.
Bottom line, it’s a big kettle, capable of mashing and boiling and will hold any given temperature, so as equipment goes it’s pretty basic but that’s not necessarily a bad thing for a beginner ( I am also)

I’m currently modifying mine to make it more like an all in one, 1- cos i can and have the skills, 2- i love making stuff and the fact that it’s a cheaper alternative to splashing out £500 (ish) on an all in one.
I bought the Klarstein 2nd hand foir around £70 and spent another £50 or so upgrading it so I’m well chuffed and have learnt a lot in the process.
Thank you. You have to spill the beans on the upgrades. I'm already looking at a budget recirc pump but very interested in other upgrades too.

Latest posts

Back