BIAB Speckled Hen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazkilla

A hoppy middle aged man
Reaction score
Well ,I've started my 1st Biab about an hour ago. At the moment its 45min into steeping with my box on as insulation ,staying at a steady 67c at the mo. I've stirred a couple of times,how often do others stir while steeping?

Had a bit of a scare when I put the burner on the old wooden table as after 15 min the varnish started to bubble and steam :grin: After putting cold water on it ,i thought of putting some silver foil under the burner and that worked a treat :oops:

Pictures will follow later......

Welcome to the darkside (of the darkside)!!

I stir lots because I have no insulation and I'm on gas... So I add a bit of heat and stir a couple of times...

calumscott said:
Welcome to the darkside (of the darkside)!!.

I'm definitely in the darkside with SWMBO as I've had to cut the handle off the colander to fit it in my bucket :shock: :)

Temp down to 65.7 now after an hour so will add some heat on next stir I think.

gazkilla said:
calumscott said:
Welcome to the darkside (of the darkside)!!.

I'm definitely in the darkside with SWMBO as I've had to cut the handle off the colander to fit it in my bucket :shock: :)

Temp down to 65.7 now after an hour so will add some heat on next stir I think.

Promise her a nice new one and she'll be happy and what's more you get a dedicated BIAB one... ;)

My pre boil SG was 1038 but on the recipe it says est 1050. Suppose its not bad for first timer :wha:

What do you use for the post boil HD test as I was putting it in my plastic jar at 96c :doh: and it was melting the jar,so I had to put the jar in a jug full of cold water. Or I suppose I just take it when its not that hot,lol
Following your tut to closely perhaps Callum :D

ryanshelton said:
Use the temperature adjustment calculator on here to find out your post boil sg :thumb:

Thanks,just tried that and it came out at 1076 and that was with the Hydrometer Temperature Correction Calculator. Does that seem right to you? :wha:

Personally I don't stir during the mash for fear of losing heat. I reheat to 75C after the mash and stir a lot during the heating. I reckon this releases more of the sugars. To get as much as possible out I then do a 6l sparge in an FV, after I've drained. Obviously I start with 6l less water than I would have if I wasn't sparging. This is maybe something to not bother with when you first start BIABing, but it has advantages not just in terms of efficiency. For me it means lifting lower weights of water around the place and I can do over 23l in a 32l stockpot, which I couldn't do without the sparge step.
Not sure what's happening with your high gravity reading :wha:

All finished now and in the Fv, here's a few pics

Grains in

WP_20140329_001_zpsef5b2fb8.jpg

Giving them a good stir

WP_20140329_002_zpsf5422945.jpg

The big mashout

WP_20140329_004_zpsf5c834be.jpg

My operating table :shock:

WP_20140329_003_zpse1cec3ec.jpg

My misses colander with handle sawn off :grin:

WP_20140329_005_zps8c849e6d.jpg

Your right Callum ,you're arms do burn after a while :)

WP_20140329_006_zps5a78c60b.jpg

The Boil off

WP_20140329_007_zpsfd12e25b.jpg

The chiller doing its thang

WP_20140329_008_zps99d24dd4.jpg

Hydrometer test after initially getting 1070 I put more water in and got it down to 1066,I had to anyhow as I was under volume.
Had 23.75 litres in and topped it up-to 26l

WP_20140329_010_zpsabeda9d1.jpg

Here comes the liquor

WP_20140329_011_zps5f799d18.jpg

About 22litres in
WP_20140329_012_zpsa61a937d.jpg

All in all I really enjoyed it and I'm already looking forward to the next one :thumb:
Beersmith says I got 80.7% efficiency :thumb:

I'll have to add more water though for next time as like I said I had to top up with just under 3L .

I have wooden beams just like yours. I just loop a piece of nylon cord over to save my arms. Tie a slip knot round the bag and it can't fall out. Alternatively you could screw a hook in.
Well done on a succesfull brew :thumb:

gazkilla said:
My pre boil SG was 1038 but on the recipe it says est 1050.
Post boil gravity is 1.050 for OSH, not pre boil. I think the brew was made to celebrate 50 years of MG or summit.

Congtats on AG#1. The photo of you standing on your table heaving that heavy bag could be avoided with a simple modified cool box. :cool:

Worth considering.

p.s.
gazkilla said:
...came out at 1076 and that was with the Hydrometer Temperature Correction Calculator. Does that seem right to you? :wha:
Nope.

Good pics, Gaz!

I too would be tempted to rig something up to dangle your bag and save the arms. In fact a simple block and tackle would be really cheap and would save you lifting the bugger completely!

What were the heating/boiling times like with that burner?

calumscott said:
Good pics, Gaz!

I too would be tempted to rig something up to dangle your bag and save the arms. In fact a simple block and tackle would be really cheap and would save you lifting the bugger completely!

What were the heating/boiling times like with that burner?
LeithR said:
I agree with Calum, I have a pulley rigged in the garage and it makes bag removal a doddle.

Defo you should go for it.

I think I'll have to,I was amazed how I was still getting some run off with the colander after half an hour.
Didn't note down how long it took to get to a rolling boil,will do next time.

I had 32.5 litres in the pot at pre boil and it said top up to 33.14l but I didn't because I was still getting some from the colander and bucket. After 90 min boil though I was well under volume at 23.75 when I should've had 27.89. The burner was on full blast though all the way through but I suppose it has to be,Perhaps I should up my burn off rate in beersmith?

Still not bubbling from airlock though,the lid domed up and pushed the water in the airlock all the way to the top but no bubbling :sulk: :)
Just got in from work and the lids flat and the water is back at it normal level in the airlock,so I took a cheeky HD test and its down to 1026 from 1066.
Really wanted a bubble though as its my first time using an airlock :mrgreen:

Forgot to add it tastes better now after just 2 days in than any other kit I've done and I can taste subtle notes of the old speckled un :thumb:

Just checked it again and its still at 1026,so I've given it a gentle rouse/stir.
Would you re-pitch,if it stays the same in 48hrs??

Back