Blackberries.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermentall

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all, been out today with Mrs F picking Blackberries.Initially the 1st few areas were a bit sparse but moved on to an area below Greenham common which is bridleway only and they were everywhere.We spent about 2 hrs picking then went for a beer at the Travellers Rest to chill before going home to deal with our Hedgerow Harvest.Upon weighing the berries it seems my moaning that the backpack was heavy, was justified as it weighed 14.5lb :shock: .I reckon that looking at the berries this year we are in for a bumper crop so wherever you are get picking soon as they are great for Wine,but don't forget the pies & puddings along with jam etc. Happy Hedgerow Hunting :cheers:

Another good reason for living below the 53rd parallel.
My Blackberry bushes only have the odd one or two ripe at the moment.

Drinking a bottle of last years berries, still a bit young. Still none ready here yet, but the brambles are heaving with green ones

Brewed a summer stout today with some blackberries i picked in the week. also added some blueberries and cherries.

The Blackberrys need at least 1 month, round here to fully ripen. :thumb:
With all the heavy rain, i did not get any wild raspberrys this year. :cry:

I hope to make at least 6 gallons of Blackberry wine this year. :pray:
it may be more :D

I have 6Kg of rasberries in my freezer, and will hand them over to Mrs bob to see what she can produce. any good recipies? I found a great patch of wild rasberries and strawberries this year, but i ate most of them, the ones in my freezer are from the garden :roll: .

artyb said:
is blackberry wine, difficult to make....?
does it need a long maturation period...?

i do like a nice blackberry... :party:
when i make Blackberry wine i leave at least
12 months, to mature.
you can :drink: it in 6 months
Note: the longer you leave it the better :thumb:
it's worth waiting 12 months before :drink:ing :cheers:

wildbrew said:
artyb said:
is blackberry wine, difficult to make....?
does it need a long maturation period...?

i do like a nice blackberry... :party:
when i make Blackberry wine i leave at least
12 months, to mature.
you can :drink: it in 6 months
Note: the longer you leave it the better :thumb:
it's worth waiting 12 months before :drink:ing :cheers:
I find that blackberry wine is best drunk young, Even if it is made in brown/green demijohns and stored away from light the colour rapidly fades to a dingy brown . . . It does not taste particularly bad . . . just that I associate browning with oxidation so try to avoid it. ;)

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Might have a dabble, anyone got a good recipe to follow?? :thumb:
No, make it up as you go along.

I don't tend to use blackberries on their own but mix them with other red fruits, do you have anything else available?

For example, in my wine bucket at the moment I have 5.5 lbs blackberries, 3 lbs red plums (from our own tree, a small, dark red fruit which is packed with flavour), 2.5 lbs raspberries and 12oz red gooseberries. That will give me 3 gallons but then I will re-use the pulp and get another 1-2 gallons of a lighter wine.

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Might have a dabble, anyone got a good recipe to follow?? :thumb:
Try Blackberry and elderberry wine, WINE AND BEERMAKING Hints and Recipes, by
BEN TURNER, Page 145.
I made 4 Gallons last year :thumb:
it was a great :drink:

I made a few gallons last year - still got about 4bottles, hope to make a few gallons this year and bulk store in the DJ for a year before bottling :cool: I have two gallons of blackberry and apple conditioning in DJ`s for bottling later in the year :thumb:

Also plan to make a good few gallons of windfall apple and pear wine - c j j berry recipe - apple wine is great stuff - and it costs pence per bottle, pear can be a bit thin but makes a great long drink with lemonade - real pear drop flavour :drink:

Latest posts

Back