Blackberry/Blackcurrant wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 44889

Regular.
Reaction score
Hiya,
Has anyone ever made a Blackberry/Blackcurrant wine. I have made Blackberry, Blackberry/Elderberry and Blackcurrant, got all 3 on the go at the moment but I have looked for recipes for Blackberry/Blackcurrant and drawn a blank. I thought the 2 fruits would go well together, any advice please.

I have made Blackberry, Elderberry (kind of, I won’t lie that one was a disaster lol) and tinned blackcurrant. But never mixed any of them together.

If it were me I’d just do 50/50 of each fruit first with 1 gallon and see what happened. I mean they’re both great flavours so it’s not like the resulting concoction is going to be **** is it?

Maybe go easy on the acid though, aren’t blackcurrants quite acidic?

Or right…

Make a gallon blackberry, and a gallon blackcurrant. Then mix the end wine together in a couple bottles.

That might work, and if it doesn’t, you still have the rest of the bottles with individual flavours.

I have made Blackberry, Elderberry (kind of, I won’t lie that one was a disaster lol) and tinned blackcurrant. But never mixed any of them together.

If it were me I’d just do 50/50 of each fruit first with 1 gallon and see what happened. I mean they’re both great flavours so it’s not like the resulting concoction is going to be **** is it?

Maybe go easy on the acid though, aren’t blackcurrants quite acidic?

Or right…

Make a gallon blackberry, and a gallon blackcurrant. Then mix the end wine together in a couple bottles.

That might work, and if it doesn’t, you still have the rest of the bottles with individual flavours.
Thanks for that.
That is what I was thinking too. I only ever do 1 gallon batches so will do a 50/50 mix. Probably 2lb of each.
Your right about the acid. No extra in my Blackberry or the Blackcurrant but 1/2 tsps of mixed acid in the Blackberry/Elderberry.
As you say they all make great wines so should all be OK.

Sorry to hear about your Blackberry/Elderberry, my last one came out very nice. My biggest disaster was just an Elderberry which I laid for 2 years then poured them down the kitchen sink.... Big lumps of black stuff floating around in it. Have found out since best to mix Elderberries with something else... Lesson learnt lol

Thanks again for the advice.

😎🍷

Latest posts

Back