Blackberry wine disaster

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDog

Regular.
Reaction score
Followed my usual Brewbits blackberry wine instructions from last year (amazing) , but this year I've had a mare and have lost the lot down the sink .

Picked the usual amount for 2 Dj's + Top up bottle, washed and froze. Several trips.

Defrosted, placed in a bucket, added camden and left for 24 hours before adding sugar and yeast.

Bubbled away nicely, but stopped after 2 days - left for 2 weeks, SG unchanged from Day1
- added more yeast
Bubbled away nicely, but stopped after 2 days - left for 4 weeks, SG unchanged from Day1
- added yeast starter, as tasted fine and hadnt gone off.
Bubbled away nicely, but stopped after 2 days - left for 2 weeks, SG unchanged from Day1

tasted like sweet blackberry juice, not a hint of wine, and went down the sink

Gutted..

What could possibly stop a sweet yeast fuelled mixture to keep stopping?

Sorry to hear of your sad loss. If it's any consolation, 4 gallons of mine went down the plughole, as a result I believe of the 4-gallon carboy either being permeable to oxygen or the cap not being totally airtight. I'm still grieving and those who say time is a great healer are nuthin' but bare-faced liars.

Sorry to hear of your sad loss. If it's any consolation, 4 gallons of mine went down the plughole, as a result I believe of the 4-gallon carboy either being permeable to oxygen or the cap not being totally airtight. I'm still grieving and those who say time is a great healer are nuthin' but bare-faced liars.

I feel your loss, please know if you need to talk we are all here for you...

What was the S.G. and what yeast did you use?

1.1 ish , I've binned the yeast sachet now, but it was one I used before from my local place. The starter was done with youngs super yeast which Ive used the tub before, and I know is good.

I'm gutted.

Latest posts

Back