Boil off?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wigwamheed said:
Just water, boiling will increase the og

+1 :thumb:

On the issue of dead space and absorbsion by the hops:-

Surely the fact that the hops are a solid (admitedly they absorbe some wort and they don't have a huge volume) means that so much of your dead space will be taken up by the hops, so reducing the amount of dead space from liquid?

Would i just not have to allow for absorbsion and less to dead space?

Only a true brew will give me the info i supose!

Its amazing how much hops absorb, I've just gone from using hop socks and squeezing the juice out of em to a manifold and mesh hopstopper and came out about 4 litres less than usual :( but on the other hand hop utilisation seems to be much greater and its a VERY tasty brew :)

Well mine my dead space is almost exactly 1lt so not sure what i'll end up with including hop absorbtion too.
Im sure i read somewhere to allow 1 litre for 100g of hops!

That sounds about right my dead space is 1.6 + 2 litres for 200 g of hops is pretttybcloseb to what I lost last

right so aprox 6lt to boil off 1lt to dead space and 2lt to hop absorbtion and i want to end up with 23lt so pre bouil 31lt :cry:

It's not looking good for my 33lt> boiler is it!

I may have to add wort to the boil half hour or so in!
Would this make much of a difference to hop utilisation on a 90min boil?

Andy

The hops not only absorb liquid and swell, they also dam it preventing it from getting to your scavenger/hopstopper draw off point.

I think that's what accounts for a lot of my post-boil loss. False bottom would probably be the most efficient at reducing this loss.

calumscott said:
The hops not only absorb liquid and swell, they also dam it preventing it from getting to your scavenger/hopstopper draw off point.

I think that's what accounts for a lot of my post-boil loss. False bottom would probably be the most efficient at reducing this loss.
Definitely get some of this too, as to adding wort half hour in, I don't think it would cause any issues 60 mins is plenty to isomerize the alpha acids in the hops, sterilse the wort boil off DMS etc etc

I have a braided hose hop stopper so dont get a syphon effect.

My dead space is the bottom of the ball valve effectively so i lose what ever is bellow this!
I could tilt the boiler at the end too as i will be passing the hot wort through a dence cotton bag into the cube to catch any remaining break material/crud thats comming through.

Just looking to get the best from the boiler thst i have atm until i get to grips with SWMBO and get a bigggggger one :twisted:

Yeh it's got a 90 bend on it and i've got about 1.5mt of clear 8mm hose to direct it where i want it.

Back