Pre boil Gravity v Suggested volume for starting boil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks
I have been reading a lot on the forum to aquaint myself with the changes that have taken place since I last brewed..

One thing has struck me, Im reading a lot about total water volume post sparge and mash efficiency.

Last time I was brewing I would stop the sparge at the point where my target pre boil gravity was achieved.

If this left me short on wort, on the next brew id simply adjust the grain bill to give me more volume of wort . likewise if I had too much wort Id reduce teh grainbill

Mash efficiency and brewhouse efficiency were a side issue. hitting pre boil gravity was more important for consitent brewing.

Is this not a thing anymore ? is it a change thats come around with BIAB/AIO becoming mainstream?

I don't really worry to much about either the amount of wort I end up with or the pre boil gravity (within reason ) as long as I get a great beer at about the right abv and about right volumn.

However I do check all my figures against the recipe in Brewfather!!

So in direct answer to your question, I always sparge with the amount of water the recipe calls for and check my post boil gravity. I don't check the gravity whilst sparging and stop 'early' or add more if too high.

Efficiencies are partly estimated from pre and post boil gravities and volumes, then used to predict them in future batches.

Last edited:
I always go with BHE so that I can brew and write consistent recipes, every brewer does what suits in this part of the process so no rights no wrongs

In an all in one you don’t have good access to the wort during the sparge to take a pre boil sample, you can draw from the tap but I wouldn’t trust it to be representative. So overall it is easier to know your volumes first imo.

Folks
I have been reading a lot on the forum to aquaint myself with the changes that have taken place since I last brewed..

One thing has struck me, Im reading a lot about total water volume post sparge and mash efficiency.

Last time I was brewing I would stop the sparge at the point where my target pre boil gravity was achieved.

If this left me short on wort, on the next brew id simply adjust the grain bill to give me more volume of wort . likewise if I had too much wort Id reduce teh grainbill

Mash efficiency and brewhouse efficiency were a side issue. hitting pre boil gravity was more important for consitent brewing.

Is this not a thing anymore ? is it a change thats come around with BIAB/AIO becoming mainstream?
If you want to know your pre-boil gravity and as they can be all over the place like a mad woman's tish. Just keep in mind that the gravity doesn't change, only the volume of the liquor. So the easiest way to check the pre-boil gravity is just to work back from the post-boil gravity gravity. Your volumes have to be precise and allow for expansion.

If you want to know your pre-boil gravity and as they can be all over the place like a mad woman's tish. Just keep in mind that the gravity doesn't change, only the volume of the liquor. So the easiest way to check the pre-boil gravity is just to work back from the post-boil gravity gravity. Your volumes have to be precise and allow for expansion.
I was just curious as to why it wasnt a "Thing" these days. Currently Im not that bothered about whether I hit the predicted pre boil, OG or even the FG as long as my beer turns out neckable.. Hell after the last two disasters Im just looking forward to a brew that is remotely drinkable . lol

Well, as you get back in the swing of things you will need the efficiency figures mash, pre-boil, Kettle and Brew House just to see where efficiency losses may occur. It's just keeping a tight rein on things.

Well, as you get back in the swing of things you will need the efficiency figures mash, pre-boil, Kettle and Brew House just to see where efficiency losses may occur. It's just keeping a tight rein on things.
Funny enough the BZ is getting 20L of water today for a 60 min boil and rapid chill to establish an accurate boil off rate.

Latest posts

Back