Boltmaker crowned best beer - recipes please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markowe

Reaction score
It's Timothy Taylors Best Bitter that has been renamed.
I'm pretty sure there is a recipe in Graham Wheelers BYOBRA.
From memory it isn't a complex recipe.....majority is pale pale malt, can't remember if there is any crystal....possibly a touch of black malt for colour adjustment. Hops are goldings for both the bittering and late additions.
Yeast....Wyeast 1469 would be a good choice, but watch it doesn't bolt(maker) from the fermenter.

It's Timothy Taylors Best Bitter that has been renamed.
I'm pretty sure there is a recipe in Graham Wheelers BYOBRA.
From memory it isn't a complex recipe.....majority is pale pale malt, can't remember if there is any crystal....possibly a touch of black malt for colour adjustment. Hops are goldings for both the bittering and late additions.
Yeast....Wyeast 1469 would be a good choice, but watch it doesn't bolt(maker) from the fermenter.

Aha, if that's the original name, there is one here: http://www.beertools.com/library/recipe.php?view=10220

But this seems a lot different to what you describe - quite specific about the Golden Promise Malt (not that I can get that anyway) and there are some Fuggles in there too... Is that the same one though, you reckon?

It's in Wheeler's book as Best Bitter, but differs from the link above. I can't say which is closer though.

Markmark kindly sent me the basic recipe so will give it a bash - honestly, there is nothing much to it, if I wanted to knock up a quick session beer this is basically what I would do anyway - some pale, some crystal, a dash of black or chocolate and some early and late Goldings. Hard to see what would be remarkable about it, but nowt wrong with it either! Good way to use up some grain I have in the freezer (hmm, I have enough for an experimental 5L BIAB batch without even ordering up any new ingredients) and see if I can have a session beer ready in a few weeks - we are hitting 40C round these parts right now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back