Boosting a Simply Bitter kit with Medium spraymalt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hughtheboatman

Reaction score
I'm about to build up a stock of beer ahead of a holiday break and have bought a couple of Simply Bitter kits and two x 500g bags of medium spray malt. The malt bags suggest using it 'pound for pound' to replace granulated sugar. As I'm not averse to a sensible experiment would members suggest using all the spray malt with one brew or divide it equally between both FVs?

It'll be best if you chuck all the malt in one kit but it'll still be good if you use half malt,half sugar per kit as per some "beer enhancer" products. Although most use brewing sugar (dextrose) I'm sure it'll be fine with normal stuff.

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/products/ritchies-simply-40-pint-beer-kit-bitter

Is this is your first go, with the 2 kits, do one with 1kg spraymalt and one with sugar. That way you will be able to tell the difference.

When you are next near a supermarket, go in the baking Isle and get some glycerine..

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254914123

You will be amazed what a little will do, to improve body and mouthfeel in finished beer.
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll do it that way. I already have glycerin which I have used with 'country wines', made from a variety of local fruit found in the bottom of the chest freezer. Thanks also for the link to B2b.
Cheers, H

With beer kits I would always add more DME rather than sugar. It will give it more body. If you shop around you can find a kilo of DME for as little as £6. Medium works well in a bitter. If you are paying £5 for 500gms of DME you are paying too much.

I'm about to build up a stock of beer ahead of a holiday break and have bought a couple of Simply Bitter kits and two x 500g bags of medium spray malt. The malt bags suggest using it 'pound for pound' to replace granulated sugar. As I'm not averse to a sensible experiment would members suggest using all the spray malt with one brew or divide it equally between both FVs?
I've had good results and a very agreeable drink by brewing 50:50 brewing sugar & spray malt and then adding 50g of dried hops at day 5 (First Gold, but I'm sure Fuggles, Golding would work just as well)...

I'm 6 days into the fermentations at 19C now and think they will be ready to bottle in a couple of days.
The first 7 seconds of the video show the Simply + sugar, and the second sequence shows the Simply + 1kg of DME.

Attachments

• Simply sugar + Simply DME.mp4
    9.6 MB
The second one looks nicer, but is that me?

Have you tasted?
I haven't tasted either yet. In reply to my first post about Geordie kits behaving badly I was advised, towards the end of the first fermentation, to give it a good stir and wait a couple more days. I've always been very careful to keep the lid on just peel inside and of course with a plastic FV I can't give it a 'good stir' without taking the lid completely off.
Is a late stir recommended to get the yeastbergs back into action, or something to be avoided at all costs, or simply unimportant?

I tried to write "...been very careful to keep the lid on and just peek inside..." in the belief that anything bad in the room air would fail to penetrate the layer of heavier CO2 covering the brew's surface.
Anyway, in the words of the song, "It's all over now", both brews were bottled this afternoon and both tasted nice.
End results in due course.

Back