Boots pressure barrel

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by Martynhusky, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1

Martynhusky

Martynhusky

Martynhusky

Okay so as you might have guessed by the title this is about the Boots Pressure Barrel.
    This is what I am using at the moment. I have been brewing beer now for around a year, and I am still having trouble carbonating the finished product in the barrel, (it seems to work if I bottle it) On the lid of the barrel there is what looks like a small black baseball cap. Its actually a pressure release valve. But I think that this is where the problem lies.
    Anyone got any ideas on what I can do???
    I've tried sticking the valve down with tape, and rubber cement, (The kind of stuff you would use if you had a puncture on your bike and had to patch it up)
    The only thing i can think of would be to take the valve out completely, and replace it with a bolt.
    If anyone has had a similar issue, and has managed to find a way round it, could you let me know thanks.
    Spud

2. Jul 3, 2011 #2

Cussword

Cussword

Cussword

Regular.

They are pretty old now Martyn, maybe it's time to let go :(

3. Jul 3, 2011 #3

tazuk

tazuk

tazuk

Regular.

would one of the s30 valves etc fit etc have a look on e-bay m8

4. Jul 3, 2011 #4

joe roberts

joe roberts

joe roberts

ive got one (thats if its a brown one) i have just done turbo cider in it and it never lost its fizz. mine as you say has got a release valve and also a co2 valve.

5. Jul 3, 2011 #5

keg9

keg9

keg9

try removing or gluing up valve / hole and then fit a s30 valve
    paul keg9 homebrews

6. Jul 3, 2011 #6

andyb13

andyb13

andyb13

7. Jul 3, 2011 #7

Martynhusky

Martynhusky

Martynhusky

Keg9

I have fitted a S30 valve myself, when I put it in, I made it a very tight fit, and packed a load of the rubber cement (Puncture repair glue) round the hole between the plastic and the rubber rings. So I don't think that there is any leek there. :wha:

Andyb13
    I already brought one of those, but the thread is different, and it wont sit on properly, and I don't want to ruin the thread on the barrel itself. But thanks for ya help :thumb:

8. Jul 3, 2011 #8

John_McC

John_McC

John_McC

When I had a leak on one of my barrels I put some pressure into the barrel and put the upside down barrel into a large bowl of water to see where the leak was. In my case it turned out to be the CO2 (boots stile) injector had a hair line crack in the casing and was letting gas out, to repair it I used epoxy putty. Hope this is of help