bottle capping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott78

Reaction score
i have just read a post about crown capping,over the next few weeks i shall be found dumpster diving the local pub for crown cap bottles. i will be after 500ml and just wanted to know are there any brands that are harder to cap and should remain binned. based on the fridges I guess that most of the bottles will be magners/bulmers.

thanks in advance

scott

Hobgoblin bottles are a nightmare to cap but can be done, batemens are a bit tricky too

I've heard that Hob Goblin and other Wychwood beers are difficult to cap so i'd avoid those. Get some magners bottles you can't go wrong with them, plus they're pints so you'll need less :thumb:
:cheers:

hello , on the subject are all the tops you can get on ebay or the shops the same size ? magners bottle is good for me as iv got loads so is there a particular cap i shout get ? cheers d

i got all my bottles from a local pub and didnt have a real problem with any i managed to get a few grolch swing cap bottles too but also had to settle for a load of 330mls bottles as i only had 30 500ml bottles. id jus make sure u have enough just in case a couple are hard to capp

I found some gems over Christmas. I always feel cheated by 500ml - like it's 10% less than a pint.

In my local curry house they sell Bangla beer in bottles - these are 660ml. Now have a deal with Mr Ali for a weekly collection of empties. Only problem is that they are clear, so need to be careful with UV exposure.

Back