Bottle caps and sizes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alhenderson

Reaction score
Mornin' All!

I have a quick question regarding bottle cappers. I'm thinking of bottling my next batch in recycled beer bottles that I've drunk, and was wondering if they are all the same size? I was looking on home-brew-shop and found a crown capper that said it was for 26mm bottles. Does this mean there are different sizes?

I was looking at getting something like this:

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Steel_Beer_Crown_Capper.html#.VyMuDvkrKUk

Given the wealth of experience on here, is that a reasonable tool for the job? I tend not to go for the cheapest thing I can find, this one seems middle of the road. There are a number which have stands - are they better?

Cheers,
Al.

The 26mm caps are for standard beer bottles, pretty much anything you buy with a cap on it. The 29mm caps fits champagne bottles and are usually used only in the production process. The only beers I know which come with a 29mm rim are the ones fitted with cork and cage, like the 750ml Leffe types.

Excellent, was hoping there was some standardisation with the bottle sizes :) Thanks for the prompt reply!

Al.

Hi, nearly all the bottled beers you buy in the shops have the 26mm crown cap. The only common one I know that uses the 29mm size caps in the 750+ml Hoegaarden bottles.

As IanM says Leffe are 29mm. The only other I'm aware of is Hoegarden. You wont be disappointed by the bench capper, btw. I've recently bought one and couldn't be more pleased with it

As IanM says Leffe are 29mm. The only other I'm aware of is Hoegarden. You wont be disappointed by the bench capper, btw. I've recently bought one and couldn't be more pleased with it

Is bench capper one that has a stand for the bottle, rather than a hand held one? Guess the former makes keeping the bottle in place easier?

Al.

I have the budget wilko one like the one in the pic in the 1st post, it was a bit of a nightmare but after around 10-12 batches I found a knack for it.

Can't find alternative of this. I think you should go with this plan

Anyone re-using twist-off capped bottles. Just wondering. Are those different caps?

I don't think you can use regular crown caps with twist off bottles.

They had an issue with that on one of the episodes of that Dogfish Head TV show and had to scrap a load of bottles.

I saved up a few Hoegaarden bottles, not realising the size difference. Will a standard capper like the one in the original post fit 29mm caps to these bottles?
PS I've reused several Hobgoblin bottles and there doesn't seem to be any problem with the caps.

The cap size on the hobgoblin bottles is standard and is not the problem. It's the bulge on the neck which means that most handheld cappers cannot get enough grip to cap the bottles properly.

Does anyone know if the Hitashino Nest bottles are standard 26mm size? I bought one from Tesco a while ago and haven't re-used it yet but the cap seemed slightly smaller than usual when I opened it.

The cap size on the hobgoblin bottles is standard and is not the problem. It's the bulge on the neck which means that most handheld cappers cannot get enough grip to cap the bottles properly.

Does anyone know if the Hitashino Nest bottles are standard 26mm size? I bought one from Tesco a while ago and haven't re-used it yet but the cap seemed slightly smaller than usual when I opened it.

I used a hitashino nest bottle yesterday with a standard cap along with 61 duval 330ml bottles.

Latest posts

Back