Bottle cleaning!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ish1349

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently found a load of bottles that have obviously been dumped down I large alleyway in amongst stinging nettles and other rubbish. They are strong green and brown 2 litre bottles. Does anyone think they would be worth picking up and using? Or just don't bother with them? They have been there for years by the looks of it. They have a lot of mud on them. Would they be easy to clean, or not worth risking considering that I have no clue what has been in them in the past?

Cheers all.

Nah, I'd steer clear personally - any chips or scratches on/in them could harbour bugs and all sorts...

I'm watching an auction on the bay - 50 new brown 500ml bottles, last time I looked they were are 16 quid

I think the bottles should be fine if you are prepared to clean them properly. However what caps are you going to use? You may be better asking your local landlord to save you his 1 pint cider bottles. Pint bottles these days are not as strong as they used to be but providing your FG is not too high that should not be a concern.
The reason I say the bottles should be fine is that a few years ago, I inherited some demi johns which were dirty and one in particular had a label which said weedkiller.
Being concerned like yourself, I contacted a glass manufacturer who assured me that if properly cleaned there was no danger. Obviously a totally different situation if using plastic where chemicals are absorbed.
I make my own bottle cleaner using a "sponge scourer cut into about 6 and bored with a large 6 inch nail which has been preheated .A piece of 9 mil dowel is then dipped in araldite or similar then inserted into the hole.I got this idea from Dave Line's book BBB and it works a treat .As Dave says most of the time you want to wipe the surface. However if you want it a bit harder there is always the scourer part.

I like that idea. To contact a glass manufacturer. That would be good. If you had weed killer in it I don't think there is much more that could have been in these. I will put a pic up of them when I get a chance.

Latest posts

Back