Bottle Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david88

Reaction score
I usualy just buy Coopers bottles and use the re-usable white plastic bungs however I have been given a few screw top bottles from the supermarket and was wondering if they are good to use. The White plastic bungs do not fit into some of them and will the screw top give a good seal for the wine to sit for a few months maturing?

People do use screwtop wine bottles though, but if it's the wrong kind of top it won't seal, and you have to be careful corking as the necks tend to be thinner.
But, you know, if it's all you have right now...

well i can go and buy a pack from my LHBS however I have 6 glass bottles with their original caps. May experiment with them anyway and see then I will know for sure.

RobWalker said:
Screw top glass bottles, avoid 'em.

Boll**ks.

Screw top bottles are fine, and seal just fine. The bottles don't need to be kept on their side like corks, and the wine is fine. Some of mine have been used 20 times and still seal. Some are well over 12 months and the wine is fine. I do occasionally change the cap, and try to use the ones with a plastic seal rather than the paper type, but both work well. Use them and they are free.

Back