Bottle size for Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzie

Reaction score
I started my first turbo cider 2 days ago and from what I have read on here it should be ready to bottle fairly quickly.
I have a couple of questions..

can I use 2L bottles that have had lemonade in them?
If so how much sugar shall I prime it with?
also do I wait until the fermentation has completely finished in the DJ?
Oh and do I rack it before bottling?

Oh and by the way it smells lovely, cant wait to sample it! :thumb:

Not an expert on turbo, but in general I would suggest:

can I use 2L bottles that have had lemonade in them? - definitely
If so how much sugar shall I prime it with? - 1 level teaspoon per bottle (provided primary fermentation is complete)
also do I wait until the fermentation has completely finished in the DJ? - yes, when it starts to clear (doesn't have to be completely clear)
Oh and do I rack it before bottling? - not necessary provided you can leave the yeast sediment in your demijohn.

On a general note, if you're using screw top bottles, just keep an eye on the pressure as it develops over 2 - 4 weeks of bottle conditioning (if you wan wait that long). If the pressure gets too high (too fizzy) just slacken the caps momentarily and let some pressure off.

Thanks for that battwave. That is all very helpful. I should have some cider in time for christmas. :party:

I make TC in 24 litre batches by just addind yeast to the AJ in the fermenter + airlock.
After ten days I rack into a 5 gal bucket + 5 campden tablets + 10 table spoons of Splenda + fully snapped on lid.
24 hours later I bottle in 500ml PET's and add 1/4 tsp sugar.
Never had any problems with "conditioning" pressure and the advantage of 500ml is you can pour the whole bottle into a pint glass without stirring up the sediment.
I have bottles which are 16 wks old, it just keeps getting better.
Longest I have left it is 6 months, beats commercial ciders!

iv used them kind of bottles and there fine.It should take 10 days to ferment ones its finnished doin that transfer into a second dj wait a week then it should be ready to bottle and you want a level tea spoon of sugar in each bottle

Latest posts

Back