Bottled beer cure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, syphon off the beer, leaving the sediment. Just Regular sugar . Follow kit instructions or as RichardM says - brewers friend - Follow his link or look through "Calculators Tab" Top this page. Lots of good stuff there

Also a bottle calculator and ABV.

I aim for 2.5 to 3 units per bottle ( Bottle Size (L) * ABV)
Means I can size the bottle to the strength of beer.
For under 4% I use 660ml (2.6@4%), 4 - 6% 500ml (2.5@ 5%), and over 6% 330ml (2.6@ 8%.)

Stronger 2.6 units gets a red cap

Last edited:
Many thanks , looked at calculator and this is how I got a figure @23l American ipa 2.2 co2, 20degrees I get for a 500ml bottle 2.67g
Ha away to weigh my crb drops now for my next brew!

I would also say how accurate it is. And you can use ANY sugar ammount by manually calibrating the 1tsp insert.

.. & use caster sugar. Smoother and dissolves faster.

https://beerandbrewing.com/the-causes-and-effects-hop-creep-and-how-to-prevent-it/
That is a useful read on the subject.

I dry hop after fermentation is complete at 12degC and have never knowingly experienced issues with hop creep using this process. However, I predominantly keg my beers so they stay cool, which would also reduce the likelihood of hop creep occuring.
Abit of a headfull , but the long and short seems to be keep the temperature lower for hops and a shorter time . YEAH?

Abit of a headfull , but the long and short seems to be keep the temperature lower for hops and a shorter time . YEAH?

Sorry, forgot to reply last night.

Yes, that seems to be the accepted way to minimize the risk of hop creep from occurring.

The other approach is to just accept that it will happen and dry hop just before fermentation finishes. That way the yeast will still be able to clean up and off flavour compounds that it throws up. You would potentially need to account for this in your recipe design though as it would lead to higher attenuation and thus a lower final gravity.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back