Bottling after kegging question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrongway

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few corny kegs lightly force carbonated and full or nearly full. They have been filled for a week or so. I would like to pass a couple of bottles on to someone. Is it possible to run some out of the kegs and bottle it. I suppose the complication is with being partially carbonated and also the chance of gaining an infection. Would be interested if anyone has any experience of this.

There was a thread on here not so long ago with a similar question, but I can't for the life of me find it!

Anyway, someone on that thread (I can't remember who, sorry) said that you need to prime your bottles in order for the beer to carbonate naturally as the CO2 from the keg won't keep the beer carbed in the bottles.

I've also just found this
https://www.mainbrew.com/how _to_bottle_beer_from_a_keg-ExtraPages.html

It's not something I've ever done so can't vouch for its effectiveness, R but it's worth a read all the same.

Sorry for the wholly unscientific answer by the way... :whistle:

Thank's Budgie, an interesting link. Since I posted the question I have been doing a bit of research on Google and Youtube. Blichmann do a bottling gun which is a bit pricey. https://www.brewuk.co.uk/blichmann-beergun.html . Plus there are similar DIY methods using a bottling wand or syphon cane some tubing, a bung and a party tap. The Blichmann has the advantage of purging with CO2 first. I am a bit reluctant to prime the bottles as the beer will be pre-carbonated a certain amount already and I could end up with too much pressure in the bottles. I may try the home made Blichmann approach. Apparently if everything is chilled enough then you get little foaming and minimal loss or conditioning CO2.

Back