Kegs, "kegs" and other 'kegs'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two 8l Oxenar bottles for that extra 5L left over after filling by crony’s. Great as they fit on top of the compressor hump in my Keezer.
Only issue is cleaning (bottle and dip tube).
My go for the mini keg approach going forwards and s*d the expense.

Thanks guys, I was referring to the plastic oil containers but I funny think thro hold pressure even if they were de-oiled, hitch is doubtful, but the news about the mini Kegs is useful as it's something I did consider.

I have two 8l Oxenar bottles for that extra 5L left over after filling by crony’s. Great as they fit on top of the compressor hump in my Keezer.
Only issue is cleaning (bottle and dip tube).
My go for the mini keg approach going forwards and s*d the expense.
You find them to difficult to clean then? I can imagine if used for fermenting but thought they'd be OK for clear beer.

this video was life changing for me . no joke:

im not pushing his business. i didnt even use his products just his ideas then found all the parts cheaper at lhbs or on amazon or one of the major online homebrew stores.

View attachment 94102

Forgot to say I watched this video the other night along with another he did about converting a cool box into a 'kegerator' which was quite humorous and pretty informative

Thanks for the info

I agree the small cornied/kegs are not much cheaper than 19L,and are worse value for money, but if you cant accommodate a big one, there's not much choice.

The kegland version has a corny type top, so easy access.

I contacted KK about the 10L plastic Keg and they have no eta on their availability in the UK.

@fluketamer, we don't have Kvac/Kvasss in the shops near me, but I did go out looking this afternoon after your post and I did find it in a 1 pint can!

I can't find any pet bottles bigger than 2L, except cooking oil which as well as being a pain to clean, are not designed for pressurised storage. Might be OK? They have a larger cap as well.

I'll watch those videos later when the wife isn't trying to watch TV.

I'm really looking for something that can take a 5L brew, and the 2L soft drink bottles we have would be a pain for that I think.
for 5 liters the options you have are the original 5 l mini keg you posted
1704128574805.png

which requires a tapping spear as stated earlier.

and a 6 liter super expensive tmcraft type
1704128629660.png

which actually holds 5.9 l because of the gas in dip tube.

but it has the advantage of having the posts and even more important wide mouth access for cleaning.

keggi brazil 5 liter is perfect for what you are looking to do but prolly not available in uk. i think you might be able to acquire them through facebook.

1704128830087.png

these are my dream keg but waiting for them to hit the states.

1704128903883.png

1704128927474.png

i found this online. not sure if they are new or not but i have never seen them before.
1704375693162.png

this is a cool alternative to the growler spear. imo its better in many ways. it mimics an oxebar cap. low profile and more versatile with the carb caps.

🍻

Small opening at the top and too long for a bottle brush. As others have responded above, there is ways around this.
this brings up a great point. and the major issue in ss mini growlers and pet kegging.

in ss growlers you cant get in there to clean. the recommended cleaning i think is growler tabs which i think is pbw. which brings up the issue of how do we clean things we cant see? there's many pieces of equipment that we cant see in homebrewing but we still clean. like cfc chillers and the inside of spigots. etc. so i guess we can still clean these narrow necked growlers without really getting in there with a brush or pad.

PET containers , whether FV's or when used in bottling/ kegging (separate controversial topic) presents another problem aside from narrow necks ( if they have them) is the scrubbing part of cleaning.

scratches are a PET homebrewers kryptonite. no brushing , no hard abrasives and even some chemicals may be no good long contact.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/cleaning-and-storing-pet-bottles-soda-pop-bottles.103599/
sorry if i am hijacking thread

Iceland in the UK usually sell 3l fizzy drink bottles. I have a few on hand in case batches come in slightly higher than 10l.
Unfortunately they don't do the 3L pop bottles anymore. However they do sell Blackthorn cider in 3L brown PET bottles. I got a couple before Christmas as I was going to use them to make fizzy water for my kids with the Kegland carb cap, T-piece, a picnic tap and so on.

I just need to drink the contents now so that I can use them, it's a difficult job but someone has to 😁

Unfortunately they don't do the 3L pop bottles anymore. However they do sell Blackthorn cider in 3L brown PET bottles. I got a couple before Christmas as I was going to use them to make fizzy water for my kids with the Kegland carb cap, T-piece, a picnic tap and so on.

I just need to drink the contents now so that I can use them, it's a difficult job but someone has to 😁
1704477812906.png

so jealous - if they sold this in the states even at twice that price it would be a regular in the lineup. i could literally just pop the tee on now and serve it ice cold from the kegerator. then when its empty you have a 3 liter keg. - genius .

Now back in stock at brew2bottle
1705009466657.png

this is a great keg

only 38 cm tall

shorter lighter and less than half the price of traditional 10 l
1705009572085.png

i imagine the neck is wide enough to get you hand in there but i didint check the dimension of the opening

i wish these were available in the states also

if they dont have a semi-see through guage on the side like a laundry detergent bottle then they should. or at least a semi clear strip down the side to see how full (im an optimist) it is.

should keep me going for a weekend or evening with friends.

i find that when minikegging it helps to have small glasses. seriously.

get a 5 oz libby mini pub tasting glass (my favorite)

1705017958563.png

and nip at that sucker all week long.

small nips of beer stay cold and carbed long enough to finish before they warm up or go flat.

i find that when minikegging it helps to have small glasses. seriously.

get a 5 oz libby mini pub tasting glass (my favorite)

View attachment 94602

and nip at that sucker all week long.

small nips of beer stay cold and carbed long enough to finish before they warm up or go flat.
For the beer engine it's only going to be carbed to 1.3 vols and about 12 C, so you'd probably call that warm and flat anyway.
But it's a nice glass, small stemless wine glass type are also good hold the aroma in.

1705071250696.png

donated 😉 from the now defunct coney island brewery 😔

i love my 8 oz acopas also:

1705071463744.png

but i googled small stemless wine glasses and i am very intrigued. this one particularly caught my eye.
1705071584840.png

these 4oz visions look beautiful and like great samplers. but a little small.

i love glassware. ill get the thread back on track as soon as my low profile miniKEG tapping heads come in. lol

🍻

Latest posts

Back