Bottling after time in pressure barrel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagovenor

Reaction score
Hi guys, just a quick question can i continue to bottle my ale from pressure barrel to bottles after its been conditioning for four weeks? If so will it just be same process with priming sugar in the bottles. What im worried about is will yeast be lying at bottom of pressure barrel?

I don't see why you are any more likely to aerate the beer when bottling from a keg as from your FV though agree it might not be best practice.

As for yeast... there are likely to be some still in suspension but whether or not there are enough for priming is another question. You might consider a gentle stir to rouse them back into suspension prior to bottling though I've never done it this way round.

I recently bottled 20 pints of beer that had been sitting in a keg in the (cold) garage for about 4 months. I dislodged the rubber band on the pressure relief valve to get the pressure down to ambient and then poured a kettle of boiling water over the screw lid to help get it off (the lid will expand quicker than the barrel and make it easire to remove if there is a small amount of residial pressure).

I then syponed the beer from the barrel into the bottles with a re-prime, and then left it for 3 weeks. They all carbonated without a problem at all!

However, they did all taste rubish, so I poured them away! But mine were much older than yours!

Back