Bottling Vs Pressure Barrel Vs Polypin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewshed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having returned to brewing after a long break I have recently done two all grain brews for Christmas. One I have bottled and the second I will put in to a polypin this weekend to have as a draught beer. Bottling the first one reminded me what a pain in the proverbial bottling is but the beer keeps well. The polypin is much easier but it only has a shelf life of a couple of weeks or so (Ok for Christmas!). I have never tried a pressure barrel and instinctively do not like the idea of pressurising my beerso do not know, but I wonder whether this might be an easy option compared to bottling but with an improved shelf life compared to the polypin. Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Brewshed

Current brews:
1. Worthington White Shield (in bottle)
2. Gales Festival Mild (almost in polypin)

Having returned to brewing after a long break I have recently done two all grain brews for Christmas. One I have bottled and the second I will put in to a polypin this weekend to have as a draught beer. Bottling the first one reminded me what a pain in the proverbial bottling is but the beer keeps well. The polypin is much easier but it only has a shelf life of a couple of weeks or so (Ok for Christmas!). I have never tried a pressure barrel and instinctively do not like the idea of pressurising my beerso do not know, but I wonder whether this might be an easy option compared to bottling but with an improved shelf life compared to the polypin. Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Brewshed

Current brews:
1. Worthington White Shield (in bottle)
2. Gales Festival Mild (almost in polypin)

5L minikegs are the way forward if you can't be bothered bottling. The bottom tap ones will have a shelf life once opened of about a week, but using a Party Star tap will keep the beer fresh for weeks, even months! They take up as much space as 4 bottles but hold the equivalent of 10so are a great space saver too!

I have never tried a pressure barrel and instinctively do not like the idea of pressurising my beerso do not know, but I wonder whether this might be an easy option compared to bottling but with an improved shelf life compared to the polypin. Any thoughts anyone?

With regard to pressure barrels, you can always keep the pressure down by slackening off the cap. My experience in the past is that you still need some pressure as otherwise the last half of the barrel is very flat.

Latest posts

Back