Bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bear

Reaction score
I am getting ready for my first attempt at bottling, only done keg before. I have a 1 gallon brew and wondered if its best to transfer from glass demi john its in into another bin first or straight into bottles. Also got a auto syphon with kit and unscrewed the end and a couple of bits fell out! so put them back as i thought but wasn't sure if I've done it right. Did a test using water and it came out eventually but seemed to have to do a few pumps but filled a bottle ok but tried again and seemed to struggle to get it to work again. Never used auto before and thought it would be easier but not so far! Am i doing something wrong?

I think it may be that the auto syphon is broken. I have one, but I know there are a few different types. Various types of pump etc. I have used it a few times but never for bottling. I also have a bottle wand that attaches onto the syphon tube, specifically designed to make bottling easy. Available from Amazon. I however, use a well sanitised jug and a well sanitised funnel to fill my bottles. Very easy and quick. You might think, Heathen, but I have never had a problem with contamination or mess. Many different ways of doing the same job with the same results. Just find the one that suits you.
As to your other question, you can certainly syphon from the primary fermentation straight into the bottles. Just don’t pick up the sediment at the bottom.
Enjoy 👍🍺

Yes i have the wand which worked well once the water started flowing.

Latest posts

Back