Bottom draining thermopot.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geetee

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have launched an order for an 80 litre thermopot for Mashtun from Germany, they were out of stock but will arrive and be despatched 24th July and I want to be ready to convert immediately.
I have read Vossy's legendary thermopot conversion post but would like a bottom draining pot without the fiddly screws.

I remember seeing a Yacht deck fitting that some have used but having searched boat suppliers got confused by the variety and thread sizes available and declined to order. I assume the fitting would connect to a 90 degree elbow and thus to a tap.

Does anyone have a link to a fitting that would fit thermopot for bottom draining and for info are they threaded the full length or would they need washers or packing or does this not matter?

http://www.asap-supplies.com/search/sta ... g-thru1-2s

is what i used chopping off most of the threaded barrel so it could screw into ground down SS elbow within the bottom void.

8418637096_d3fc007f8f_n.jpg

Fil - how do you chop off the end of the fitting, whilst keeping the thread intact so you can screw it into the elbow? Sorry it this is a silly question, but my metal working skills are quite limited :)

angle grinder with a ss cutting disk, then wear it down as with the elbow on a belt sander, a file will help open up the 1st thread and then work the 2 peices together.

to open up and work the inner thread of a SS elbow thats been ground down use a tapered bsp thread as its thinner at the end and easier to catch, i made a tool from a nipple and T using the T as a handle to work open and lubricate the thread.

it can take a good 5-10 mins? screwing in and unscrewing to ease the threads after chopping/grinding down, a bit of oil or wd40 helps
wash out any grains.. remember to soak/clean off any oils :)

8417200355_37f162d743_n.jpg

with the right tools its an easy job, without em ??? SS is bloody hard!

Back