Brain dead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because it’s at 1C there will be a fair bit of CO2 in the liquid. Brewers Friend reckons 68g for 2.5 volumes of CO2. It would be around 130g if your beer was sitting around the 20C mark.

Attachments

• 01E3F6B6-84C4-4123-AE65-8193F99BAF24.png
    01E3F6B6-84C4-4123-AE65-8193F99BAF24.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 72
Please remember that the temp that's important is the highest one the beer has seen. I doubt you feremented at 1c so it's your fermentation temp you need to use. :-)
I didn’t know that, I always thought it was the current temperature of the beer due to the fact that the beer absorbs CO2 better when it’s colder.

Clicking on the help icon on the BF priming calculator reveals this helpful explanation:

"The beer you are about to package already contains some CO2 since it is a naturally occurring byproduct of fermentation. The amount is temperature dependent. The temperature to enter is usually the fermentation temperature of the beer, but might also be the current temperature of the beer. If the fermentation temperature and the current beer temperature are the same life is simple.

However, if the beer was cold crashed, or put through a diacetyl rest, or the temperature changed for some other reason... you will need to use your judgment to decide which temperature is most representative. During cold crashing, some of the CO2 in the head space will go back into the beer. If you cold crashed for a very long time this may represent a significant increase in dissolved CO2. There is a lot of online debate about this and the internet is thin on concrete answers backed by research. We are open to improving the calculator so please let us know of any sources that clarify this point."

Interesting bit on Brewer's Friend there, I'd doubt there would be much gas dissolving when the beer is being held cold as it's not being agitated so surface area isn't very high and if you're doing extended lagering it'll be under an airlock with minimal headspace. CO2 will reach equilibrium at fermentation temps, cooling it down just makes the CO2 more soluble but shouldn't cause huge re-absorption, but as they say, lots of talk, little evidence. :-)

Back