Brew - crystal clear but malty (almost like malt vinegar without full acidic tone)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashman

Reaction score
I did my usual - use a kit 100% no sugar at half the volume. This time it’s given a crystal clear malty drink. I suspect the yeast stalled in the recent cold spell (confirmed by a hydrometer reading). It’s an odd drink slightly dry finish, sweet at first. I think it’s 50% vinegar - the brew stalling mid brew then oxidising.

oddly all the brews that have gone wrong are kits, and all grains( aside from diacetyl) have been passable.

I did my usual - use a kit 100% no sugar at half the volume. This time it’s given a crystal clear malty drink. I suspect the yeast stalled in the recent cold spell (confirmed by a hydrometer reading). It’s an odd drink slightly dry finish, sweet at first. I think it’s 50% vinegar - the brew stalling mid brew then oxidising.

oddly all the brews that have gone wrong are kits, and all grains( aside from diacetyl) have been passable.
If it was oxidised then it would be giving a cardboard taste, vinegar/acetic acid is acetobacter probably caused by wild yeast. I doubt it is the kits that are at fault, but something in the process you are using.

If it was oxidised then it would be giving a cardboard taste, vinegar/acetic acid is acetobacter probably caused by wild yeast. I doubt it is the kits that are at fault, but something in the process you are using.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah kits likely fine. I’m working on primary assumption that the fermentation stalled and then vinegar as you say. Either generated by an infection or oxygen. I’m working on temperature control - the cupboard has an inkbird controller into a 40w heater but tbh only heats up the space to +5C over ambient. Current temperature (no heating) is 9C.

Attachments

• 28A4AE94-AC2C-493B-BE45-1834B093B73E.jpeg
    28A4AE94-AC2C-493B-BE45-1834B093B73E.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 102

Latest posts

Back