Brew cube

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodlebrew

Reaction score
Hiya, just a question about brew cubes.

I recently bought my first one and have just brewed an IPA. I transferred the hot wort across to my sanitised cube at approx 80°c because I didn't want to pull too much bitterness from the cube hops. I then sat the cube in my garage overnight to cool down.

This morning I notice the cube temperature was sat at 18°c so i transferred to the sanitised fermenter via a sieve to catch the bulk of the hop debris and also give me some aeration for pitching. The issue is, my OG seems to have crept up to 1066 yet my post boil was 1060.

After flamrout, I did let it sit for half hour in the kettle prior to cubing to allow time to cool to 80°. Could it have continued to evaporate and condense my wort during that half hour?

Or did I just take a crappy reading post boil?

Cheers

Is it possible your original reading was taken when the wort was still warm? The hydrometer temperature correction calculator indicates that wort at 42C giving a reading of 1.060 would have a reading of 1.066 at 20C.

Hey, thanks for the reply. During the mash, sparge and boil I'm using a refractometer (which i calibrated to zero with tap water) i use the brix scale and then convert it over to SG using an online calculator.

Temp might be the issue perhaps? But I thought these ATC refractometer's are designed so a small drop of wort cools super quick and doesnt affect readings? I could be talking out my **** though 😂

Hey, thanks for the reply. During the mash, sparge and boil I'm using a refractometer (which i calibrated to zero with tap water) i use the brix scale and then convert it over to SG using an online calculator.

Temp might be the issue perhaps? But I thought these ATC refractometer's are designed so a small drop of wort cools super quick and doesnt affect readings? I could be talking out my a**e though 😂
You're right enough as I apply the method though an odd time I cool a preboil sample and check with the hydrometer and is usually bang on but was down 4 points on one occasion.

Back