Brew Day Missed OG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyrider

Reaction score
So annoying thing happened today…

Brewed a recipe that came out perfect the last 2 times but this time I missed the OG by 14 points. I did everything the same as last time, however I use some old grains (say 2 months old)…I’m guessing this is to blame.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I know people say that crushed malt keeps fine but I used to get a noticeable drop in efficiency as I worked my way through a 25Kg sack.
My efficiencies have been much improved since I stopped buying crushed.

Which OG did you miss.....pre-boil gravity or post boil gravity? What was the target. (often folks use OG as a general term for any gravity reading except final post fermentation gravity)

14 points sounds an awful lot.

Do you crush it you’re self?
Yeah. I only started because I made a mistake with an order and got whole grain instead of crushed - bought a cheap (sub 30 quid) grinder off ebay. My efficiency jumped from low 60s to around 83%.
I grind the grain for a brew while the water is heating for the mash so although it's more work it doesn't add any time to the brewday.

Ok guys, I’ve been doing some research and have ended up to the conclusion I had a slow mash, it would explain the inefficiency and the point drop.

So going forward, I’m needed to recheck my grain to water ratio. Saying that…it could just be one of them things!

So I’m adjusting my grain/ratio for my next batch to this:

Grain weight x 3 = mash water

So in my case it would be:

10.55 x 3 = 31.65ltrs

This should allow a more fluid mash water and less chance of it getting stuck/slow.

Back