Brew length

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2weeks

Reaction score
Hi All

Can any one tell me, if I have a recipe with a boil length of 90 mins but I want to reduce it to 60 mins what percentage do I need to increase my hops weight by to attain the IBU.

Increase the 90 min hops by 1/3. Add these for your 60 min boil. Keep any others the same. Ie your 10 min aroma hops

Sorry to disagree, but...I disagree. :hmm:

Hop utilization isn't proportional to time, given a fixed specific gravity (which is also important). Check out John Palmer's hop utilization table:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html

Take a 1040 wort for example, utilization is 0.270 at 90 mins and 0.252 at 60 minutes. Therefore, you'll yield 93% bitterness (IBU) at 60 minutes compared to 90 minutes. You'll only need to add 7% more hops to get the same IBU. That's at 1040 though; it varies depending on the gravity of the wort.

2weeks said:
Thanks very much, always nice to know there's someone with the answer.
:lol: And there's always another brewer with a different answer. :tongue:

I hate hop utilisation tables (they give me a headache) but find that i often end up looking at Palmers one. Check it out.

As has been mentioned, hop utilisation is affected by SG (the more concentrated your wort, the less you will get out of your hops), so once you know what your SG is you should be able to start making some accurate calculations based on Palmers book.

Ceejay said:
Take a 1040 wort for example, utilization is 0.270 at 90 mins and 0.252 at 60 minutes. Therefore, you'll yield 93% bitterness (IBU) at 60 minutes compared to 90 minutes. You'll only need to add 7% more hops to get the same IBU. That's at 1040 though; it varies depending on the gravity of the wort.

Sorry to disagree, but...I disagree. :hmm: .............................

Its actually 7.526881720430108% :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back