Brewday 22nd July 2010 - Durden Park Simmonds Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a full-scale Durden Park brew. I picked in the 1880s Simmonds bitter recipe, as I have been told that it is probably the finest bitter recipe from the book. Certainly the recipe is simple enough, pretty much pale malt and Fuggles and Goldings hops. I was also lucky that Samarith wanted to come over there and watch a brewing process. so here is the recipe.

For 20L at 1.062 (64% Efficiency)

5230g Pale Malt
1000g Pale Amber Malt (Home Roasted)

94g Fuggles (Bittering)
21g Goldings (Late)
13g Goldings (Dry)

To me it was pretty much uneventful brew day. Apart from an extended gap during the mash which meant the matter the beer was mashed for three a half hours rather than my usual 90 minutes everything else went pretty smoothly, and for once I didn't end up with several litres of work all over the floor. Even better for me personally was that using the electric brewery meant I didn't try to set fire to my testicles again.

I was pretty pleased that we exceeded the recipes efficiency and ended up with close on 24 L of wort at 1.067. As the brewers at the time had no idea what the IBU of their beers were, or the alpha acid contents of the hops, then there is little point in trying to brew to to a particular level of bitterness, although with the hops I used the theoretical bitterness according to Tinseths calculation is 77 IBU.

Once the beer was cooled, it was run-off into a clean sanitised fermenter and tucked away for 24 hours to allow the hot and cold break to settle out. After this time the wort was poured into a new fermenter generating lots of froth, and pitched with a 2L starter of Brewlabs Thames Valley II yeast, which will be allowed to ferment at 20°C for 5 to 7 days.

I think the key to this recipe is the pale amber malt, which you have to produce by home roasting has no malt is produced that comes close, certainly upon opening the grain bag that I'd stored it in a wonderful nutty aroma was evident, hopefully this will carry on into the beer.

Sounds like a very interesting brew AM. Well any day you don't burn your wedding tackle is good one with me :D

I had nose on the Effinbrewery website to look for a brew day report, as I like the sound of the nutty home roasted malt. Will it be included?

Sounds like you had a good brew day.

I have been looking at this recipe myself with a view to bigging it up, let me know how it turns out, as I might do it for halloween.

UP

I was very much inspired by this brew, not having many...well any..of the equipment or ingredients I have attempted to improvise a copy.

1 large tub of Ovaltine (smells the same as the malt liquor)
1 multigrain loaf (to simulate the pale amber)
130g dried brussel sprouts (look a lot like hops and are bitter too)

I'll let you know how it turns out. :rofl:

Many thanks for letting me observe the brew day, Tony. I 'think' I learned a lot.

Nothing worse then roasted nuts :) I`ve looked at this one, probably the most realistic one in the book for my set up. one day.

I`ve been looking at the Durden Park website Aleman and its really interesting and the sort of brewing that i`m into :cool: I will definetley be trying this recipe or one of the others in the near future - just hope I can do it justice :thumb:

Shame there's not a cheating way to mix something up that would be like Pale Amber without actually having to make your own!

Hope its a good one :)

OK So Home roasting you malt. . . .

First off you have to use uncrushed, and this is the sole reason I bought my own malt mill.
Preheat your oven to 90C - Fan ovens are best for this - and I monitor the temperature at the surface of the grain with a digital oven thermometer

Line a roasting tray with aluminium foil (In the US it's ok to use Aluminum ;) ), and add pale or lager malt to a depth of 1".

Roast for 1 hour at 90C followed by 30 minutes each at 100C, 110C, and 120C.

Start checking the colour of the grains every 20 minutes until the first hint of a buff appears. What you do is to take a sample of the grain and cut 15-20 grains in half you are comparing the average colour of the 'flour' of the sample until it really is just a bit darker than malt that has not been roasted. You will get some malt changing early its when the majority of the 15-20 kernels have changed.

Remove from oven and allow to cool . . . store airtight, dry and in the dark for a week which seems to allow the flavour to develop (I store mine vacuum packed).

Mill before use.

Franklin said:
Shame there's not a cheating way to mix something up that would be like Pale Amber without actually having to make your own!
Actually there is :D Certainly to match the colour you substitute a mix of Pale : Diastatic Amber : Munich in a 2:2:1 ratio should work to replace Pale Amber . . . using a bit of caramalt would also be help as it would add a touch of residual sweetness to the beer.

I'm not sure however how you can match that incredible creamy nuttiness you get from the home roasted pale amber though. I am sure Samarith will confirm that it was very strong compared to the standard pale malt. This was a brew day thread where we used the substitute . . . no one was willing to attempt to home roast 25Kg of pale amber :lol:

Update: Sampled the beer today to take a gravity sample . . . Bix Value was 8.2 which calculates out at 1.01259 . . . Hydrometer Value was 1.0125 so agreement reached . . . and currently 6.3% abv . . . A mans bitter :lol: . . . certainly will not be a session beer. . . . . Time to crash cool to 4C and try and drop out this yeast (Brewlab TV II) . . . which seems to want to carry on working. . . . . I'll teach it a lesson :D

As for taste . . . . There is a lot of yeast in suspension, as well as a lot of CO2 being given off so aroma is masked, it is promising nice gentle floral notes. . . rich and malty, not as bitter as expected . . .perhaps this indicates that a lot of damage is being done to my hops now that the hop freezer is defunct . . . Time to get rid of the old ones and buy fresh. . . . . :cry: :cry: :cry:

Back